Real-Time Email Photo Alerts are 20 Seconds Late

shaywood

Real-Time Email Photo Alerts are 20 Seconds Late

Post by shaywood »

I'm setting up a Reolink E1 Outdoor POE camera to send alerts on person detection. The leading-edge image shows the person that triggered the event. However, the additional real-time images are 18 - 20 seconds later, too late to see the person. Any idea why BI is generating the 3 images so much later? I did increase the quality percent. The video clip is synchronized correctly.
BI shot.png
BI shot.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 531 times
BI1.jpg
BI1.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 531 times
BI2.jpg
BI2.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 531 times
shaywood

Re: Real-Time Email Photo Alerts are 20 Seconds Late

Post by shaywood »

Open to any ideas. This is happening on all my cameras. The requested attachment emails are 10 -20 seconds after the trigger/alert event.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Attaching a 10 second inline MP4 (which also needs to be encoded first) probably isn't exactly speeding things up. ;)

Try reducing both the length of the MP4 and the quality/size of the images and see if that helps.

All alerting methods have a certain degree of inherent latency..., some much more than others. What is being used to send these alerts?
shaywood

Post by shaywood »

Thank you for the input. I disabled the video attachment entirely and tried a test. The requested attached emails were 25 seconds later than the initial trigger. This wasn't a problem about a week ago. I'm not certain what you mean by your question about what is being used to send the alerts. BI is running on a Windows 11 PC with i7 latest gen, ssd drive and 32 gbs ram. I use Codeproject AI for object detection.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

shaywood wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:17 am I'm not certain what you mean by your question about what is being used to send the alerts.
I sorta neglected to associate the title of your thread with my response. Sorry.

The actual sending method was what I was referring to. You're evidently using email. My experience with email alerts is typically a 5 second or so delay when it's working right and conditions are favorable. I was also using SMS/MMS texting which was far superior until it began being throttled back be either Gmail or Verizon (or both). I was receiving nearly instant JPG only alerts. I'm now trying Pushover which has promise but still exhibits its own degree of latency.

Depending on your environment, you may want to try the SMS method and see if it provides any improvement.
shaywood

Post by shaywood »

I realize that may impact when the email is sent and received, but the BI jpeg timestamps should show the time of the trigger and following seconds. It appears that the requested jpegs are up to 30 seconds after the trigger event. I did update my version of CodeProject AI from 2.5.4 to 2.5.6 and noticed some lengthy processing times for AI detection. Maybe that has something to do with the problem.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

One way to find out.

I've personally stayed away from CPAI for all the reasons I see posted everywhere and make do with what Blue Iris has to offer on its own.
shaywood

Post by shaywood »

Interestingly! I uninstalled CodeProject AI v2.5.6 and reinstalled 2.5.4 and problem solved. The requested additional jpegs are 1 second apart after the trigger! Thanks for the input. What do you use for AI detection, other than CodeProject AI?
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

On a few cameras I do the same, send email... but wth 30 seconds of video. And yes, it takes a while to get it.

But, I also send to my phone a push notification & MMS with an image(s).

I have them in the alerts list in this order...
- Push notification
- MMS
- Email.

I get the Push notification almost instantly. Then the the txt notification with image. After about 40-90 seconds, I get the email with the video, and images depending how long the activity lasts. And that's fine. I get the Push & txt messages almost instantly. The email can and will take longer, and is for my reference in case I'm away from home, and/or I need to send/show it to a police officer.

For the txt/sms/mms notification images, I've made a special group of 3 cameras called 'Frontdoor Group'. In my 'Alert/On Alert' 'Configure SMS' settings I clicked the 'A Group' button, then selected the 'Frontdoor Group' from the drop down.
The result is I get a sms message on my phone with the images of all three cameras. I can see whos approaching my front door before they get the the door!
I used to freak out the UPS driver by opening the door just as he's approaching the steps. He's used to it now! lol
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

shaywood wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:59 am Interestingly! I uninstalled CodeProject AI v2.5.6 and reinstalled 2.5.4 and problem solved. The requested additional jpegs are 1 second apart after the trigger! Thanks for the input. What do you use for AI detection, other than CodeProject AI?
No AI used or required for my particular situation. All of my alerts and notifications are from the Blue Iris zone and motion detection features alone. They are quite capable once a basic understanding of their functionality and interaction is achieved.

But if I were to require AI functionality I would use cameras that already have it onboard and just integrate them with Blue Iris for the alerting and notifications. I have two and have yet to find the need for their AI capabilities.