Temporary footage

AlphablueIris

Temporary footage

Post by AlphablueIris »

Hi, first time here and great news, I love Blue Iris, I came from Sighthound product.
I would like two zones, Zone A that is "mask" to only my house and the driveway while Zone B encompass the entire camera view. I would like to use Zone A only for when someone is in my property and Zone B to save a temporary footage for a few days and then remove it. Is it possible to accomplish it?

Thanks
YrbkMgr

Re: Temporary footage

Post by YrbkMgr »

Sure you can, but the wrinkle is the temporary footage bit - you would have to manage that manually, which is not recommended by the developer unless you really know what you're doing. Ask me how I know. But hear me out on the concept of temporary footage...
  • Managing and Archiving Recordings via Clips and Archiving - An often under appreciated feature - Your archive storage is virtually unlimited because you can add storage devices as needed. You have the ability to fine tune archiving with time periods and/or size. You can also automatically engage database compacting/repairing. I don't care anymore about false triggers resulting in storage space being eaten up - Clips and Archiving manages all of that for me. Kind of set it and forget it. You have local access to all of your recordings without limitation - I have clips archived from 2019 ready if I need to review something. It's worth getting your arms around the feature in my opinion.
A lot of times folks try to make BI work a certain way, instead of utilizing the features built into BI to accomplish the goal. So if I might ask, why not simply create one zone (A) and let it trigger according to your motion sensor settings, then use DeepStack object recognition to alert you? That's an oversimplification but once you're dialed in, it's reliable.

If you are automatically managing disk space with Clips and Archiving, the length or number of clips is handled for you. So let the camera record whenever it's triggered, but only ALERT you when there's an event of interest.

Mitigating issues aside, I see it as a more elegant and less fiddly strategy.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I do something similar using a clone cam. So the main cam triggers using IVS in the cam to trigger BI when it detects a person or a car within my driveway. I’ve then made a clone of this cam and use BI motion detection to trigger the clone of it detect any movement in the entire frame.

I have the main cam set to raise an alert and it records these clips separately to the clone cam which raises no alerts but just records on movement detection.

I do keeps the clips from the main cam and the clone separate so in case where there is a positive detection on my driveway then the clone cam would also record so really a duplicate recording but I’ve not found any way to avoid this.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

IAmATeaf wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:55 pm So the main cam triggers using IVS in the cam to trigger BI when it detects a person or a car within my driveway. I’ve then made a clone of this cam and use BI motion detection to trigger the clone of it detect any movement in the entire frame.
So does that mean that you are using the camera motion detection instead of BI to detect motion on the master and BI for the clone? If that's true, I'm curious why you chose that strategy.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.