BI5 Crash with Intel NUC

mldenison

BI5 Crash with Intel NUC

Post by mldenison »

I have 2 PC's running BI5. Both are Windows 7 x64, running at home.

My desktop PC is running fine. And can be configured as below with no issues.

The other, an Intel NUC NUC5i7RYK with all up to date drivers, has issues when trying to configure a preset on one camera for motion detection.

This seems to have started on the last few BI updates.

I've turned off global motion detection as I just want motion detection on one preset.

Under 'Presets', in the 'Motion detection' pane and 'Override motion detection' checked, as soon as I click on the 'Edit' button, blueiris.exe crashes.

I'll email Ken as I have a support agreement, but I usually don't get a response.

It looks like a compatibility issue with my NUC.
Back Preset.jpg
Back Preset.jpg (143.36 KiB) Viewed 9769 times
spammenotinoz

Re: BI5 Crash with Intel NUC

Post by spammenotinoz »

This may not be what you want to hear, but do yourself a favour and run Windows 10. For the typical user, on the current edition, there is zero learning curve.
Your NUC will fly and programs will just work.

Suspect BI only supports Windows 7 due to the public pressure, but it really should be dropped.

For a test, try backing up your BI config on the NUC and Desktop, then importing the BI config from your desktop on the NUC and see, how it goes.
Check the eventviewer\BI logs, there should always be an error after a crash.
Soo many issues could cause the crash, but for sure I would say it's BI-related to a device driver (typically graphics)

- Disable anti-virus and anti-malware programs.
- Update display drivers (yes often an issue with the NIUC's)

But seriously, sure you could work with BI to troubleshoot and fix, but WHY, of WHY just go Windows 10. Cheapest upgrade you will ever do.
mldenison

Post by mldenison »

I just ordered a new NUC8i7HVK NUC which should be here tomorrow. My current NUC is end of life with no new Windows 7 drivers available. I believe that's the problem.

Now, I have to see how to move my BI5 setup to the new NUC.

I hope there is an easy way.
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

mldenison wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:58 pm I just ordered a new NUC8i7HVK NUC which should be here tomorrow. My current NUC is end of life with no new Windows 7 drivers available. I believe that's the problem.

Now, I have to see how to move my BI5 setup to the new NUC.

I hope there is an easy way.
I have one of the original i3 NUC's, well end of life and runs Windows 10 fine. All i5 NUC's can also run BI, I am a bit of a NUC fan and have a collection.
Congratulations on your purchase, but I will point out a few things with the i7 NUC.
- They are known to generate a lot more heat, typically the latest gen i5 is more suitable as both units share the same cooling solution
- You may need to disable HyperThreading as many reports of freezes after a few days (Windows Freezes, not BI). Intel did release a F\W update but never fixed the issue.
- Don't go for a cheap M2.0 SSD, get a decent performing drive. I put laptop 7,200 rpm drives in them as data drives for BI recordings. Often nice and cheap, as people upgrade to SSD's.
Don't be alarmed, if you see the NUC running at 80-100%. Just like all modern PC's the NUC will have lowered it's clock speed, it doesn't mean the CPU is maxxed out. If it needs more it will ramp up the clock speed and generate more heat.
You should find your new device is quite the beast.

As to migrate;
Install Windows
Install BI
Export your config file (old unit)
I de-register the old unit (not sure if you need to, but I always do)
Import your config (make sure the versions are the same)
Activate licensing (but from memory, it does this itself)
And it should just work
mldenison

Post by mldenison »

It IS quite the beast I ordered it Sunday and It was delivered Monday afternoon. Windows 10 Pro x64 was pre-installed along with 32GB memory and an Intel 1GB SSD.

I thought my desktop PC was fast (Windows 7) but the NUC blows it away. I love the skull!

I found a few programs which makes the interface nearly like Windows 7, so I'm happy.

I haven't installed BI5 on it yet. I'm in the midst of installing my weather station software and have some issues that I need to straighten out. Then I'll tackle BI5. Thanks for the tips.
mldenison

Post by mldenison »

BI% installed with no problems. I'm a happy camper!
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

mldenison wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:11 pm It IS quite the beast I ordered it Sunday and It was delivered Monday afternoon. Windows 10 Pro x64 was pre-installed along with 32GB memory and an Intel 1GB SSD.

I thought my desktop PC was fast (Windows 7) but the NUC blows it away. I love the skull!

I found a few programs which makes the interface nearly like Windows 7, so I'm happy.

I haven't installed BI5 on it yet. I'm in the midst of installing my weather station software and have some issues that I need to straighten out. Then I'll tackle BI5. Thanks for the tips.
Ahh a Skull!!
I don't think the Hyperthreading or overheating issue exists in the Skull, yes that is a real BEAST!!
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

You are really paying a premium for that small form factor. Both in price and performance. But I suppose it has its uses.
spammenotinoz

Post by spammenotinoz »

HeneryH wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 pm You are really paying a premium for that small form factor. Both in price and performance. But I suppose it has its uses.
We have all types on this forum. The guy still using BI v3 despite being offered 50% discount, up to some real extreme systems.
I have built a few NUC's for people that I sourced from mega eBay sales (i3, i5, i7)'s they were all really good price points, they were not SKULLs, which are impressive but out of my budget.
For BI, I try and recommend HP\DELL refurbs from Factory Outlets\eBAY, can often find newer i5's, 8g RAM, 512 GB SSD with Windows 10 license ~$250 AUD
I prefer the mini to micro sizes, so it's not too difficult to add a proper GPU. You can only handle so many 4k cameras with Hollywood framerates with Quicksync.
What the heck is it with everyone demanding 25-30fps from a security camera. Although have to admit, it does make a huge difference with drive-by's