Maximum number of GPU H/W acceleration cameras?

coolspot

Maximum number of GPU H/W acceleration cameras?

Post by coolspot »

Hi all,

I'm using hardware accleration wiht a Nvidia T400 2GB model, and up to 14 cameras, it works fine, but the 15th camera, it starts returning errors like:

HW VA Not Compatible: 4305
HW encode setup failed: 483 for 'streaming temp 1012067148' check hardware compatiblity

Does anyone know what the limit is for hardware transcoding. I even patched my Nvidia drivers so I don't think it's a driver limitation. Perhaps the card itself can't handle so many cocurrent streams?
Last edited by coolspot on Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeLud

Re: Maximum number of GPU H/W acceleration cameras?

Post by MikeLud »

The GPU memory is what is limiting the amount of cameras.
coolspot

Post by coolspot »

MikeLud wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:43 am The GPU memory is what is limiting the amount of cameras.
The card supports using system memory to compliment the onboard memory? Right now it has 10GB of RAM? 2GB Real memory + 8GB of system memory?

Even the onboard memory isn't full yet - looks to be hovering around 1.5GB, there should be plenty left for more cameras?
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

coolspot wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:21 am Hi all,

I'm using hardware accleration wiht a Nvidia T400 2GB model, and up to 14 cameras, it works fine, but the 15th camera, it starts returning errors like:

HW VA Not Compatible: 4305
HW encode setup failed: 483 for 'streaming temp 1012067148' check hardware compatiblity

Does anyone know what the limit is for hardware transcoding. I even patched my Nvidia drivers so I don't think it's a driver limitation. Perhaps the card itself can't handle so many cocurrent streams?
In your shoes, I would see if I could prove it was a limitation in BI by disabling cam 14, then see if HWA is shows up for it (cam 15) in the camera status window. If it shows up, it's a BI limitation, if not, it's a setting.

I'm not sayin' I'm right, I'm just sayin' that's how I see it.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
coolspot

Post by coolspot »

YrbkMgr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:19 am In your shoes, I would see if I could prove it was a limitation in BI by disabling cam 14, then see if HWA is shows up for it (cam 15) in the camera status window. If it shows up, it's a BI limitation, if not, it's a setting.

I'm not sayin' I'm right, I'm just sayin' that's how I see it.
I have 16 1080P H.264 cameras and 1 4K H.265 camera - if I disable my 4K camera, I can get up to 16 HW acceleration channels.

I'm going to do further tests and see if lowering the resolution or changing the codec on the 4K camera allows me to have 16+ cameras using H/W on a Nvidia T400.

I checked with GPU-Z, Task Manager, etc. the GPU's utilization, memory load, and other counters are VERY low.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

coolspot wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:03 am I have 16 1080P H.264 cameras and 1 4K H.265 camera - if I disable my 4K camera, I can get up to 16 HW acceleration channels.

I'm going to do further tests and see if lowering the resolution or changing the codec on the 4K camera allows me to have 16+ cameras using H/W on a Nvidia T400.

I checked with GPU-Z, Task Manager, etc. the GPU's utilization, memory load, and other counters are VERY low.
Word 'round the campfire is that .265 provides little to no benefit in BI. Setting it to .264 is generally recommended and eliminates a variable in troubleshooting. That's not an official remark, rather, just what I've read from others. Also, dual streaming is recommended for 4K cameras and above.
Help file p24
5.2.7 - May 1, 2020
You may now specify a second “sub” stream for an RTSP camera. The software will pull video from both streams, using the main stream only for audio and direct-to-disc recording (and playback) and the sub-stream for everything else. This really has become a necessity with the popularity of 4K (8MP) cameras (and beyond).
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.