BI + DeepStack - Splitting Storage of Confirmed vs New?

tconnz

BI + DeepStack - Splitting Storage of Confirmed vs New?

Post by tconnz »

Hi All,

Have been playing with Deepstack + BI, loving the reduced alerts!

I like many, record when motion is triggered to save on disk space, then further filter down what gets alerted via DeepStack - This works amazingly well!

I also sync each new clip up to OneDrive in the case that the BI computer got pinched, taking all the data with it.

What I'm trying to do is further reduce what gets uploaded to OneDrive.

One way I can think of is only uploading the clips that DeepStack has confirmed, as opposed too all events, such as trees moving etc. However there's no wayto tag/identify those videos from the rest that I can see?

It's not possible in the Clips / Archiving Tab - as that's only to do with time/clip size.

Just curious if anyone else has identified a way this could be done... or even if it's something you'd use?
YrbkMgr

Re: BI + DeepStack - Splitting Storage of Confirmed vs New?

Post by YrbkMgr »

tconnz wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 am I also sync each new clip up to OneDrive in the case that the BI computer got pinched, taking all the data with it.
Purely out of curiosity, by what method are you doing that?

FWIW, if my BI server craps the bed, my strategy for recovery is using backup software - specifically Macrium Reflect. I backup the C:\BlueIris folder daily at 11:00 pm --> external storage. I backup the entire PC daily at 5:00 am. For me, that obviates the need for OneDrive. Macrium Reflect has a free version - Reflect 8 Free. I used it for a few months then bought it for my main PC, but run the free version on four other PC's in my house on the LAN. Saved my azz more times than I can count.

Rant: With storage as inexpensive as it is these days, and as much as we cherish our data, creating a recovery position is painless and cheap. /endrant
What I'm trying to do is further reduce what gets uploaded to OneDrive.

One way I can think of is only uploading the clips that DeepStack has confirmed, as opposed too all events, such as trees moving etc. However there's no wayto tag/identify those videos from the rest that I can see?

It's not possible in the Clips / Archiving Tab - as that's only to do with time/clip size.

Just curious if anyone else has identified a way this could be done... or even if it's something you'd use?
If DS is set to auto flag in the AI settings, you can auto export flagged clips from the Trigger tab of the camera.
export when flagged_sm.JPG
export when flagged_sm.JPG (67.08 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
tconnz

Post by tconnz »

Many thanks for the reply, that solution may indeed be what I'm after!

To answer your question re: OneDrive - I have a cheap 120GB SSD for BI, and I've set the OneDrive sync location to be that SSD. The I've set the New alert videos to be stored there, which then in turn syncs up to Onedrive.

BI is a high specced VM, so restores are nice and easy, but the OneDrive aspect is purely there if someone breaks into the place, sees the server and either smashes or steals it, I then at least have the clips in the cloud to help with an investigation..

Paranoid I know, but it's a use case I wanted to provide for.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

tconnz wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:24 pm Many thanks for the reply, that solution may indeed be what I'm after!

To answer your question re: OneDrive - I have a cheap 120GB SSD for BI, and I've set the OneDrive sync location to be that SSD. The I've set the New alert videos to be stored there, which then in turn syncs up to Onedrive.

BI is a high specced VM, so restores are nice and easy, but the OneDrive aspect is purely there if someone breaks into the place, sees the server and either smashes or steals it, I then at least have the clips in the cloud to help with an investigation..

Paranoid I know, but it's a use case I wanted to provide for.
Firstly on SSD's... I read the following somewhere else that I found to be a sane guidelines:
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.
10) for performance do not put more than about 10,000 files in a folder, the search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help)
Secondly, you don't have to tell me about paranoia - I've always said, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you. So here's how I personally manage my paranoia. I let clips and archiving manage storage - set it and forget it, then back that up with Macrium Reflect to mitigate said paranoia.

To be clear, I'm not saying this strategy is the best way, I'm just offering it up as one to consider.

Here's a graphic of what I mean - Note: the drive labeled O:\ is the letter I assigned when mounting the backup
BI Daily FF Backup w Macrium Composite_sm.JPG
BI Daily FF Backup w Macrium Composite_sm.JPG (170.13 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.