Getting started with Blue Iris using a Wyze Cam v2

jasonb

Post by jasonb »

I have recently discovered Blue Iris software and I am excited to try to start using this possibly as an alternative to my current setup for security monitoring. I have a dedicated PC that I'm currently running the demo on, and I just got it installed last night, and so to test, I thought I would take the only free camera I have laying around and use the older Wyze Cam v2 camera to test the software out so I don't have to reconfigure any of my production cameras, since as I understand it, the Wyze v2 camera should be compatible.

The issue I'm running into is that I have the camera flashed to the current RTSP firmware from Wyze, which is build number 4.28.4.49. I have followed all of the setup steps from Wyze for doing this, and have RTSP turned on in the advanced settings, and I currently have a url generated as follows:

rtsp://192.168.1.140/live

I have omitted the username and password from the above URL for obvious reasons. When I try to add that camera to Blue Iris, all I get is a error that says "Cam2: No signal". I am able to pull up the camera in the Wyze app and see it just fine, and I am able to confirm from my firewall that it is indeed using the DHCP lease of 192.168.1.140, so all appears to be working just fine with the camera at the moment. I'm really wanting this project to work and the make Blue Iris my new working system, but at this point I'm uncertain how to even get my basic Wyze cam v2 working, so I really want to get this working and confirm all of the functionality I need will indeed work before committing to purchasing, so can anyone suggest what I can try to get this working?

Thanks,

Jason
TimG

Re: Getting started with Blue Iris using a Wyze Cam v2

Post by TimG »

I have a Wyze V2 cam working this way. As long as you know that they don't like working with BI5 if there is more than one, and you situate it close to your router, it will be OKish.

Mine is set to:
RTSP Port: 8554
Onvif port: 8999
Make: Wyze
Model: V2 with OpenIPC firmware RTSP
Main stream: /unicast
Audio: 16 bit PCM

Find/Inspect just tried to overwrite those settings. Noooo.....
I'm really wanting this project to work and the make Blue Iris my new working system, but at this point I'm uncertain how to even get my basic Wyze cam v2 workingI'm really wanting this project to work and the make Blue Iris my new working system, but at this point I'm uncertain how to even get my basic Wyze cam v2 working
You've actually picked a difficult camera to do this. Don't be put off because of Wyze cams ! A normal IP camera like a Dahua will work with find/inspect.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Post by TimG »

as an alternative to my current setup for security monitoring
Does that mean you already have some IP cams ? If yes, then they will probably work with your old and new systems at the same time as long as your cameras are on the LAN rather than plugged in to a NVR.

I ran two servers with a licensed copy of BI5 on each server, and they could both see all of my IP cameras. The purpose of that was testing BI5 motion detection against Dahua Onvif triggering. The results were inconclusive, as they both missed the odd thing that the other one caught :?
Forum Moderator.
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Thanks for your help TimG! Essentially my settings were already basically like you had suggested, with the exception that my audio was set differently, so I adjusted that setting. I'm not sure if the latest version I'm on is different than your version, but I am unable to select the Make and Model as long as my camera is set to use RTSP, so I can only set the make and model if I change the protocol to be HTTP, and I also tried that, but it also didn't help changing it that way.

I thought that I would paste a couple screenshots here to show how the camera is configured just in case I did something wrong, but I don't think this forum supports embedding images, or else I'm not sure how to figure that out.

I was able to set the ports to the same ports you were using, but those didn't change anything either, so I just set them back to default. I was sooooo excited to find this software and was reallly hoping to be able to use this for my new system, but if I cannot get this to work with this camera, then I'm losing faith this software is able to live up to the hype. Is this something I can contact support about to get some pre-sales help to know if their product is actually going to work with hardware I use without just spending money without any way of validating it works?
TimG

Post by TimG »

Mine is set to http, and the Wyze is in the "Make" drop down menu. I can see the Model includes V2 and V3, so they have been busy. Hope the dropbox public link works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qf669051w9cvb ... s.PNG?dl=0
Forum Moderator.
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Thanks for that response TimG and for the screenshot, as that was very helpful! I am still unable to get the Wyze Cam v2 working with RTSP, so at this point I'm giving up, but you have provided very helpful information and I'm left to conclude there must be something wrong with my camera or settings somehow, as it still works fine in the Wyze app, just that I get nothing in Blue Iris with it. Thanks again for all of the effort you spent helping me, but I guess I need to decide what to try next.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

If you enter the details as given by @TimG then do a find/inspect is BI able to connect and inspect the cam, the resulting dialog should give you a clue as to success/failure.