Hardware / Software Two Different Locations

General discussion about Blue Iris
Pogo

Re: Hardware / Software Two Different Locations

Post by Pogo »

TimG wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:49 pm Now where IS the OP :?:
Good morning (evening?), Tim. Basically my main point.

And ack on everything you mentioned. A little more detail on the physical network and what else may be hanging off of it would certainly assist all of us in offering a practical first step solution to his initial complaint -- which was essentially my additional point instead of just adding more confusion to what is obviously an already less than well understood situation.

I now yield the floor to the OP. LOL
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I wanted to go the vlan route but my neither my verizon router or my asus router (running merlin) support vlans as far as I know. I wanted to also go pfSense but I would need to buy hardware for that. Bummed.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Vlans should be supported on your Asus using Merlin. Depending on the router model and Merlin version it may not have a GUI for doing so, but should still be able to be accomplished via CLI if you have the patience for it. Peck around a little and you may get lucky and find a GUI.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Dekade wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:04 pm ...
Reason - I just finished building my BI5 Server and it is too slow. PTZ takes forever to maneuver around the property.

The intended Server is an AMD Server with an A12 processor / graphics integration, 16gb ram, 4TB purple hdd. Maybe I need a higher processor and a separate graphics card to make it function better.
When you say PTZ takes forever to maneuver'...
- Does the video stutter, and loose frames? Is so, this could be s a Cpu/Gpu/Network issue.
- Or, does the PTZ actually move slowly? You should be able to speed up the Ptz movement speed within the Cameras interface. I do this on my cameras. BI cameras settings for ptz speed has never worked for me - probably because my cameras do not support that external control.

Usually integrated graphics is not going to be enough to power a workhorse like BI/AI or a graphics program like Davinci/Blender...
If you can barrow a graphics card, install and test it to see if it helps (it will), it could save you time.
Dekade

Post by Dekade »

TimG wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:49 pm Now where IS the OP :?:
I am here. It's just that I got slaughtered for 4 days with personal home issues that completely wiped out my days and nights. I am now trying to catch up on the posts to this thread. Sorry for the disconnect. Dekade OP
Last edited by Dekade on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dekade

Post by Dekade »

TimG wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:49 pm Secure remote access ? I now use ZeroTier. Very simple to set up and use, and free. I used to use OpenVPN. It's not very nice.
Yes, I stumbled across Zero Tier shortly after I did the post relative to a 2nd LAN for security. I am anxious to get going on the Zero Tier. First I want to go through this thread in detail to catch up and make certain I have not skipped over valuable information.

Thanks to all.
martinschwallp

Post by martinschwallp »

Yes, you can run Blue Iris 5 (BI5) software on an Intel PC while storing the video data on a 4TB Purple HDD connected to an AMD PC. The critical factor here is ensuring that both PCs are on the same network, and you configure Blue Iris to access the video data on the AMD PC.

Running the software on a more powerful Intel PC should help with processing and viewing the camera feeds, especially if you're using the PTZ feature. Your Intel i7 with 32GB of RAM should handle this well.

Regarding your AMD server, if you're finding it too slow, upgrading the processor and adding a dedicated graphics card could improve performance. Video surveillance systems can be resource-intensive, so having a more powerful server might help with smoother operations.

I hope this information helps you optimize your Blue Iris setup and improve its performance.
I am an ex-CEO and founder of a Salesforce and I'm doing a job as a Managing director in Platinum Partner.