Emails are mostly late suddenly

deathworm

Emails are mostly late suddenly

Post by deathworm »

Hellos!

I am using the latest version of blueiris. For some weeks Ive problem with the email notifications.

Sometimes the mail with the alarm image is there within of seconds as it should be. sometimes it takes minutes, some hours and as well I receive it sometimes a day later. Often when I receive some else mail with another picture there suddently comes an older with it

the mail connection is fine. when i use the test button its there instantly. ive checked the webmail as well to get sure its not stuck with my iphone mail app but there is the same
MikeBwca

Re: Emails are mostly late suddenly

Post by MikeBwca »

In my experience, It's all on the email servers your using.
In some cases when the server(s) are busy, I'll get email/sms after several minutes, and even up to an hour later. But this is rare.

GMail will lock you out of your account for 24 hours if sending too many. I don't use GMail for sending email/sms, I use other servers.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

MikeBwca wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:42 pm In my experience, It's all on the email servers your using.
In some cases when the server(s) are busy, I'll get email/sms after several minutes, and even up to an hour later. But this is rare.
Yep, it's almost always the receiving email server, not the sender.

It sounds like it's being greylisted, something that procmail (and others) use to stop or slow spam.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
deathworm

Post by deathworm »

Hi!

Thanks for the reply’s but I can say that it’s nearly for sure not the mail provider because it’s my own domain. Not any freemail or something. And as said I can send testemails as much as I want, those will arrive within of seconds.

That situation is really strange. When I would send videos I could maybe understand it. But it’s just the trigger message and it worked some weeks ago perfectly for months.
no3grover

Post by no3grover »

The best way to tell what's going on is to open one of the e-mail messages and view the full message headers. It will show the full mail flow and all server handoffs along the way, with timestamps so that you may be able to tell where its being delayed.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

deathworm wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:45 pmThanks for the reply’s but I can say that it’s nearly for sure not the mail provider because it’s my own domain.
Well...it's still a possibility. I run a slew of domains on several servers, and by default they come with various packages that could potentially do this.

Not saying that's it for sure, but I've seen some odd stuff happen when I update using the package manager. Perhaps an update to your mail transport service had some settings changed during an update?

But I'll admit, it sounds odd. Obviously something changed somewhere, it's a matter of tracking it down and figuring out what changed as well as why. I've spent more time than I care to admit fiddling with procmail, maildrop, spamassassin, MIMEDefang, etc etc and it can be daunting and frustrating.

Have you looked at the server logs to see if there are any clues or indicators of abnormal activity?

I once found that a mail size limit was being hit (causing a failure) but the failure would go away as older emails got auto-deleted (letting everything work fine again). That was a bear to find because every time I went to look for a cause, it was already working again (for a while).

Another time I had an intermittent disk error that came and went, very similar symptoms that turned out to be write errors on the drive. Eventually the write would succeed and voila, all was well again. That was easier to find, but still took some time to puzzle out.

As no3grover mentioned, sometimes stuff in the mail headers can show what's going on (and often where).

I'd definitely peruse the logs, looking at the times from just before the mail was sent until after it arrived (i.e. when the delays are occurring). It's gotta be something.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
deathworm

Post by deathworm »

Hellos!

thanks for your replies

so I checked the header of the mails... but sent date is within of secondds or a second the same receiving date. mail size is no problem, as unlimited is setup. all testmails are there within of a click.

ive also checked the internet connection of that client with a ping checker and pinged google - completly fine, no loss at all.

ive uninstalled blueiris now, deleted the folder in program files and reinstalled it. the only strange thing, i didnt had to import any settingsfile. it was completly same. 5542 is installed.

let's look forward, maybe a simple reinstall will work

any program logs couldnt be find by me. all log folders are empty and i didnt find any option for it?
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

deathworm wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:28 am ive uninstalled blueiris now, deleted the folder in program files and reinstalled it. the only strange thing, i didnt had to import any settingsfile. it was completly same. 5542 is installed.
In the future, before resorting to the nuclear option, you might want to look at how BI manages backups (REG files) when the console launches.
p 215 of the help file.
If you select the Auto export option, you may select a folder location for these files. The software maintains a rolling set of three files, always from three different days. These are updated only when the software service is restarted. Restarting the software multiple times on a single day results only in the replacement of just one of the backup files.
Armed with that information and auto export enabled in global settings, there will be least three different days of REG files that you can import. It's not fool proof but it's worked for me when I needed to restore a working configuration.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
deathworm

Post by deathworm »

In the future, before resorting to the nuclear option, you might want to look at how BI manages backups (REG files) when the console launches.

Armed with that information and auto export enabled in global settings, there will be least three different days of REG files that you can import. It's not fool proof but it's worked for me when I needed to restore a working configuration.
the restore wasnt the problem. ive created an export file before but I didnt had to import it anyway.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

The reason your previous settings were already there is that they are set/configured within the registry which the uninstall doesn’t delete.