Combine or cut video not working

Tinman

Combine or cut video not working

Post by Tinman »

I recently switched all of my cams over to dual stream and noticed my "combine or cut" setting of 30 minutes per clip works on some cams and is not even close on others. Is this due to using sub streams ? Also what exactly is the advantage of recording dual-streams if available do for me if I have that checked. BTW, before my clips would be exactly every 30 minutes.

Screenshot 2021-12-01 084501.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-01 084501.jpg (111.22 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-01 084626.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-01 084626.jpg (169.04 KiB) Viewed 1971 times
YrbkMgr

Re: Combine or cut video not working

Post by YrbkMgr »

Tinman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:46 pm I recently switched all of my cams over to dual stream and noticed my "combine or cut" setting of 30 minutes per clip works on some cams and is not even close on others. Is this due to using sub streams ? Also what exactly is the advantage of recording dual-streams if available do for me if I have that checked. BTW, before my clips would be exactly every 30 minutes.
Some advantages of dual-streaming can be found in the help file (p 210). In my experience dual streaming is a boon for performance offering a lot of flexibility in managing resources (network, cpu, etc.).

As far as Combine or Cut... see page 104 of the help file - the part about syncing up with the real time clock and software/server restarts may be relevant. As far as I am aware, enabling dual-streaming does not affect the length of the recording. I only record when triggered and cut every hour (12 recordings a day in theory) so the length of recordings is influenced by the number of events that occurred in that block of time. In other words, one would expect recording length to vary, hour by hour.

Intuitively, continuous recording should cut every 30 mins so that you end up with 48 recordings in a day, provided that a single recording didn't exceed your file size setting. Do you have 48 recordings in the folder for that day? Determining expected behavior isn't well-documented as far as I can find.

All of that aside, why are you concerned whether the combine or cut feature is working - I mean to say, what problem are you having? Running out of disk space? Clips and Archiving issues? Limitations on playback/review? Just curious.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Thank you for your input ! I did change mine to cut at every 1 hr. This seems to have improved the clips ending pretty close to the hr. I'm not really having any issues at all other than before I went to dual streams on all my cams, the clips were EXACTLY every 30 minutes on the button. Also i run all my cams on continuous record.
Screenshot 2021-12-04 210311.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-04 210311.jpg (135.17 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

I have all of them checked to "record dual streams" as well and left one cam unchecked. Not really seeing any differences so far on just that cam.

Screenshot 2021-12-04 210953.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-04 210953.jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Looks like you got it sorted then. I don't know what conclusions one can draw from the bvr length in the clips window. The purpose of "combine or cut" is, in part, to manage file size and make it easier for review/retrieval, etc. Now that you have it set to an hour, you should see 24 recordings each day in the New Folder. In fact, when you had it set to 30, you should see 48 bvr's in the new folder for each day. You might verify that in File Explorer (C:\Blue Iris\New).

But whether it's 58 minutes or 1 hour exactly... does it matter? I mean to suggest, if you're not missing anything when you playback the day - you have the full 24 hours, the way I see it, mission accomplished, right?
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
Tinman

Post by Tinman »

Well thanks to your pointers on reading the help file and some of the tips here, I have it almost perfect again. I read where its a good idea to keep your main stream and sub stream running the same FPS, which mine was a mix match. While in configuring each cam, I also set my bitrate on my sub streams to about 10% of my main stream bitrate. End result was good and now I am good to go.
Thanks for your help !

BTW running
Screenshot 2021-12-07 191822.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-07 191822.jpg (5.02 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
on this I5-3570k around 25% CPU
Screenshot 2021-12-07 191448.jpg
Screenshot 2021-12-07 191448.jpg (208.26 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Right on, glad that you solved it. Thanks for posting feedback on what worked.