Looking for tips on Hyper-V setup.

sdennis

Looking for tips on Hyper-V setup.

Post by sdennis »

Hello everyone. I am setting up some cameras in my business and using BI5. I have a dell rack server (r720dx) running windows server 2019. When I set up BI on the physical machine the CPU usage is like 2-3%, when I set it up with just one camera ( cores, 6gb ram) on a VM, the CPU is usually at 100%. I know that it should be less, but I think that I am not setting up the VM correctly. I have found some videos for VM set up and Blue Iris, but none are walk throughs so just looking for some resources that people here know will work that have detailed "Soup to Nuts" instructions so I can make sure that I am setting it up correctly.

Thank you for any help you can provide (links to youtube videos, white pages, etc)
HeneryH

Re: Looking for tips on Hyper-V setup.

Post by HeneryH »

You should ask Fenderman on ipcamtalk :D
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

LOL. OMG! Noooooo! He's joking. If you do venture to the 'dark site', go gently and be wary... you'll find out!

There are plenty of post here to help with performance. Look in the 'Onboarding' and 'Tips and Tricks' sections in this forum.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Try upping the memory to 12Gb.

Also how does the physical compare to the VM in terms of CPU power?
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

I have 32 GB of RAM and allocate at least half to the VM.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Sounds like the VM software may be using the cpu, rather than BI within the VM?

When cpu is at/near 100%...
- How much cpu does the VM take on the Host computer?
- In the VM, how much cpu does BI take?
Cougar281

Post by Cougar281 »

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:23 am LOL. OMG! Noooooo! He's joking. If you do venture to the 'dark site', go gently and be wary... you'll find out!

There are plenty of post here to help with performance. Look in the 'Onboarding' and 'Tips and Tricks' sections in this forum.
That's no joke lol! If you say ANYTHING he doesn't agree with, expect to be banned and then receive nasty e-mails from him. :shock:

I'm not too familiar with Hyper-V - The few times I've tried to use it I hated it and just stuck with VMWare, but in reality, your guest OS shouldn't be much different from the host. How many vCPUs did you assign to your guest machine? Did you enable dual stream for motion detection (That makes a HUGE difference)?
SolarEclipse

Post by SolarEclipse »

sdennis wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:19 am Hello everyone. I am setting up some cameras in my business and using BI5. I have a dell rack server (r720dx) running windows server 2019. When I set up BI on the physical machine the CPU usage is like 2-3%, when I set it up with just one camera ( cores, 6gb ram) on a VM, the CPU is usually at 100%. I know that it should be less, but I think that I am not setting up the VM correctly. I have found some videos for VM set up and Blue Iris, but none are walk throughs so just looking for some resources that people here know will work that have detailed "Soup to Nuts" instructions so I can make sure that I am setting it up correctly.

Thank you for any help you can provide (links to youtube videos, white pages, etc)
I've been using BlueIris in Hyper-V for many years now. I have 3 cameras hooked up.
I use a dynamic memory setup and allow the VM to have up to 4 GB. It routinely runs around 3 GB and rarely uses full memory except when there's an update. I've tweaked BlueIris's settings to use less CPU and the CPU in the VM rarely runs at 100%. It's been too long since I made my setup but the recommendations are in the help file. Look under the main topic Administration for CPU Management.
Also, for as bad as the forums are at IPCamTalk there is a good info page covering this as well. https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizing-b ... cpu-usage/
sdennis

Post by sdennis »

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll get to work looking up these references and go from there :)
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

SolarEclipse wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:10 pm I've been using BlueIris in Hyper-V for many years now. I have 3 cameras hooked up.
I use a dynamic memory setup and allow the VM to have up to 4 GB. It routinely runs around 3 GB and rarely uses full memory except when there's an update. I've tweaked BlueIris's settings to use less CPU and the CPU in the VM rarely runs at 100%. It's been too long since I made my setup but the recommendations are in the help file. Look under the main topic Administration for CPU Management.
Also, for as bad as the forums are at IPCamTalk there is a good info page covering this as well. https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizing-b ... cpu-usage/
Righteous post. Thanks.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.