Stuttering

Marc3322

Stuttering

Post by Marc3322 »

I have an Alienware 17r5 i9 (i9 8950HK), a Desktop build myself, i9 (i9 7920X) and XPS13 i7.
XPS13 is just my new travel computer and unimportant since I just tried to see how BI would work. It was pitiful, useless in win10 pro and win11 pro. I use coretemp and it run 69~88% load with whining fans but it is just my travel computer and BI or Hikvision PCNVR is normally not even installed. I use it to convert 360 deg movies I take to mp4 .
Cameras: All hikvision, 2 3MP and 2 4MP cameras. DS-2CD2185FWD, DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3, DS-2CD2532F-IWS, DS-2DE4A425IW-DE.
I have BIv4 2lincense and BIv5 3 licenses although I can't find one of my licenses anymore, the one that was an upgrade from v4 to v5. Other 2 I bought additionally because I like to run BI independently on the two i9 computers.
I try to solve the stuttering problems of my 17r5 i9 for over a month now without success so far. I do have some of the saving load features implemented but not the substream since I like to have a clear picture whenever I look at the screen.
The desktop computer runs ~10% load with BIv5 and sometimes it gets hesitant for a moment but then runs fine. I guess 12 cores 24 threads helps on that one. win11.
Now Alienware, I attach also performance pictures. The problem is v5 because I installed v4 and then the computer was running fine with windows 11 for 2 days in a row without any issues.
I have Acronis and can restore the computer within less then 2 minutes to a backup. I have the same software running in win10 and win11 and I am trying to switch them with BIv5 for over a month now to get the computer running without stutter. It does not matter if I run BIv5 in win10 or 11, same stutters, freezing, lockup. When the computer stutters or locks up it takes between 2 and 4anhalf minutes of a twirling circle to restart or shutdown. Now I would like to know if anybody else has that problem too and if he/she found a solution to it.Thanks
Attachments
Performance BI V4.png
Performance BI V4.png (195.58 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
Performance BI V5.png
Performance BI V5.png (124.6 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
BI V5.png
BI V5.png (180.48 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
TimG

Re: Stuttering

Post by TimG »

I was surprised to see you mention stuttering with an i9 late generation cpu and only four cameras, so I had a look at a comparison between our usual favourite i7-7700k and your i9-8950hk cpu. I was gobsmacked to see the i7 beats it quite dramatically: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 6215vs3647

An overclockable cpu for a laptop, but it normally runs at 2.9Ghz. Hmm...

Since you have good backups, I would suggest putting a fresh installation of Win10/11 and ONLY BI5 on it to see if it improves things. If it doesn't then your laptop is not suited to BI5 use. How much RAM does the laptop have ?

My thoughts ? Use the desktop as a static server for BI5, and use the laptop via networks with UI3.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Marc3322

Post by Marc3322 »

Thanks for your reply. I need to clarify, I bought the Alienware December 2018 (almost 3 years old) and it run Blue Iris v4 v5 without any problems 24/7 including software I like to use or try out. BIOS has a hardware test program for hardware short and long tests, long takes ~21 hours, I did short first, then long but came back without any issues. The stuttering started 2~3 month ago on BI v5 very slowly, first actually "un-noticed" just taught to restart BI or reboot until it got worse. Next taught was BI v5 upgrade version to be the problem. Then of course I taught installing win11 caused the problem. This morning I had the nagging idea maybe the wireless is the problem even though the BIOS short and long-test claims nothing wrong with the WiFi card but I hooked up an Ethernet cable 30 mins ago while the computer was stuttering and the stuttering stopped. I will keep it running for a while over Ethernet. So, maybe I found the culprit WiFi card? It's possible because ~2 month ago I had to change the "bloating" battery in the laptop and to do that the WiFi card had to come out.
Cross my fingers. :idea: Thanks
Marc3322

Post by Marc3322 »

:) Almost seems it is fixed. After long research somebody mentioned a bad driver that is installed with windows 10/11 for Intel hardware. I got a driver directly from Intel, installed it and so far all the stutter went away. All 4 cameras are working again perfectly fine. Load went even down to ~21% from ~30%.
BTW I have 32GB Memory RAM.