Deepstack vs Camera AI Person Detection

8dikgiZU6knron

Post by 8dikgiZU6knron »

I'm looking at a few newer cameras and many now come with built in "AI Person Detection". If Blue Iris is configured with Deepstack, is this camera feature even useful or is it just redundant ?
--
New to BlueIris
Looking for cameras that can withstand Canadian winters
IAmATeaf

Re: Deepstack vs Camera AI Person Detection

Post by IAmATeaf »

It can be more reliable it it does depend on your location, lighting at night and field of view.

I tried using deepstack a while back and it worked perfectly well during the day but during the night it would miss events.

Since then I’ve replaced my driveway cams which now have IVS functionality and they have to date been 100% with no missed events.

In fact all of cams now trigger BI using ONVIF and only my line cams make use of BI motion detection.
8dikgiZU6knron

Post by 8dikgiZU6knron »

Thanks for the reply IAmATeaf !

As I'm new to BI I want to make sure I understand this correctly...
You're new cameras with Intelligent Video Surveillance are still in Blue Iris but NOT using Deepstack?

How are you getting the alert to Blue Iris so that it can do it's magic?
I've attached a pic of the MOTION SETTINGS tab for the camera, is this how it happens?

PS I'm surprised the camera's built-in IVS is more accurate than Deepstack.
Attachments
enable-motion-sensor-blueiris.png
enable-motion-sensor-blueiris.png (68.46 KiB) Viewed 7605 times
--
New to BlueIris
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I’m using ONVIF in the cams to externally trigger BI, cams set to trigger via ONVIF I have BI motion detection disabled.
8dikgiZU6knron

Post by 8dikgiZU6knron »

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to learn a bit more about BI and ONVIF before asking any more. I agree that pixel based motion detection is bad (thinks a shadow is motion) but I wasn't clear if BI could use the built-in camera object detection. Sounds like Yes - It can.
--
New to BlueIris
Yffud

Post by Yffud »

IAmATeaf wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:16 pm It can be more reliable it it does depend on your location, lighting at night and field of view.

I tried using deepstack a while back and it worked perfectly well during the day but during the night it would miss events.

Since then I’ve replaced my driveway cams which now have IVS functionality and they have to date been 100% with no missed events.

In fact all of cams now trigger BI using ONVIF and only my line cams make use of BI motion detection.
Which camera make / model did you use?
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

I’ve got a Dahua 4Mp 5442T-ASE and a 5442T-ZE variant with the rest all being Dahua 2Mp 5231T-ZE.
CAL7

Post by CAL7 »

Thanks, @IAmATeaf. I, too, am trying to understand the benefits of on-camera IA vs Deepstack. Your reports would indicate better detection (and, I assume, less CPU/GPU by Blue Iris & Deepstack) from the cameras. My cameras are Dahua 3241 (2MP) and 5442 (4MP).

Would you be willing to post a couple of camera settings screenshots?

Do the cameras give data on detection times (e.g. Deepstack on my system is typically 250-500me)?
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

For all my cams I use tripwires and only use person and car detection on the 5442T cams that cover my driveway. For the other cams I just use normal tripwire detection as my wife likes to see all the birds and foxes that visit.

No idea on detection times etc but they just seem to work, with the driveway cams I do sometimes get false detection reports if for example a shadow gets cast which triggers the cams but this is due to the fact that driveway always has a car parked in it.

Where they really excel is at night time, for me deepstack just didn’t work reliably at night.
BBK

Post by BBK »

Deepstack does have a dark training set that may help with night. When adding it, I saw a huge increase in the time it took to analyze an image though (200ms to like 2000+). However, that may just be my system resources (YMMV). Some people had better luck with detection (Day or night) by disabling the default set and only using night.
https://forum.deepstack.cc/t/deepstack- ... videos/934