Camera Key degrades over time

IAmATeaf

Re: Camera Key degrades over time

Post by IAmATeaf »

Does BI report any signal issues?

You could try continuously pinging the cams up from the BI PC to see if the response times are the same/similar or if they vary?
Crusher21

Post by Crusher21 »

Update: I tried a new cable, had the same problem
Crusher21

Post by Crusher21 »

@IAmATeaf Looking at the results of continuous pings, I'm not seeing any major dependencies. It's 1ms or less most of the time, with very rare exceptions.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Have you changed the substream to h264?
Crusher21

Post by Crusher21 »

Yes I did
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Just because you paid $ for these cameras does not mean you can/should run them at 100%.
That's like expecting a Porcha to run 100mph on an L.A. freeway during rush hour.

The camera is degrading either because of...
- Bandwidth on the network.
- To far away from router if WiFi.
- WiFi channels in conflict. This included other routers in the area and/or AP's. There are 'Smart' devices that can use the same freqs.
- Bad cabling. Bad switch.
- Dog Spot relieving himself on a switch.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

How much did you pay and what is the model no of the cams?
Crusher21

Post by Crusher21 »

The camera is the Amcrest 4K AI, model IP8M-2696EW-AI. I paid $150 after tax.

I just bought it again to see if I got a defective unit, new unit will be here tomorrow.

I power all my cameras through PoE from a Ubiquiti 802.3at switch. Each camera is on a segmented network, no internet access and no access to other subnets.

I highly doubt it's a problem with the switch. I'll test the new camera on both switches with various ethernet cables, see if I can nail down the issue.
Yesterday when I tested with a new ethernet cable, I tried a 75-foot cat6. Perhaps there is some limitation that I'm not aware of.
The current wiring is a little wonky. I've got a 30-foot cat6 with 2 ethernet couplers on the way to the switch.

The weirdest part of this whole situation is how oddly consistent the freezing is. The only thing I can think of that would cause such consistency is the wiring. I'm going to upload a video so you guys can see what I'm seeing.
Crusher21

Post by Crusher21 »

Alrighty...after much testing with the new camera, I have a few discoveries.

I am experiencing the exact same problem with this camera (stuttering on Live view on camera interface, frequent pixelation lasting 1-2 seconds in BI). I've tried multiple different ethernet cables, and tried experimenting with the network configuration (temporarily permitting all network traffic).

I'm still trying to nail down the issue, but one other thing I noticed is that none of these issues are present when the camera is pointed indoors. Indoors, the BI issue goes away and there is no stutter in the Live view on the camera itself. I have to pretty much have the camera pressed against the glass on a window to see the problem, which makes it hard to troubleshoot.
Crusher21

Post by Crusher21 »

I'm pretty sure there is a problem with this camera model. Just setup a different 4k camera, same cable same PoE switch, everything is perfect