Setup on alert and trigger actions by profile

nohc

Setup on alert and trigger actions by profile

Post by nohc »

What is the purpose of these profile boxes in alert action sets (circled in image)? My thought was the alert action would only fire if one of the profiles selected are active but that is not how it behaves. The action fires regardless. My use case is to have some actions fire all the time on motion and others only when certain profiles are active. Example: fire MQTT action on motion any time but only send push notifications at night during profileXYZ. Right now I am controlling this via profiles and the Trigger -> Sources -> Motion check box. I just disable motion triggering for the profile I don't want an alert action of push notification. That of course will not work for sending an MQTT message regardless of the time/profile. I think I probably want the MQTT messages to fire as a trigger action as I don't want an alert for every motion event and have an alert action send a push notification like I have it now. I notice the trigger actions also have the profile boxes that can be selected (like the ones circled in the image) but I don't think those were working the way I thought they were either. Thanks

terk

Re: Setup on alert and trigger actions by profile

Post by terk »

Those profiles are supposed to determine when that specific alert is sent. What version BI are you on currently? I have mine setup to send MQTT on any profile to activate the virtual motion sensors on my home automation hub and only send push notifications for evening and night profiles. Although I updated the the latest stable releasee last weekend and my MQTT stopped functioning, they still fire but error out yet pasting the same URL into the servers browser works as expected, I sent a message to support and hope they have an idea of how to get them working again without having to install the old version again.
nohc

Re: Setup on alert and trigger actions by profile

Post by nohc »

EDIT: Ok, its working now. I basically started over with the profiles and made sure they were all default then set it back up. I was able to get my MQTT working so it does work.

I am on 5.5.1.9. Yeah, that makes sense but its not working that way for me. I will mess with it some more knowing that is the intended function. Thanks

You could try installing wireshark and running a packet capture on your BI server to troubleshoot the MQTT thing. Assuming you are not using MQTTS, you will be able to see what the messages look like from BI alerts vs the browser, etc in cleartext. Just a thought.