Update cost and potential problems when upgrading

kengrome

Update cost and potential problems when upgrading

Post by kengrome »

Here are my Blue Iris "About" details:

Release 5.2.6.5
Support Level: Basic [Expired]
Expires: 6/20/2020

The first part of this question relates to upgrading to the current version of Blue Iris, which is apparently 5.5.1.1:

1- Can I up upgrade now for free, or must I pay for the upgraded software and/or a support contract?
2- If a support contract is required before I can upgrade, how much will it cost me?
3- How long will the paid support contract remain in effect?
4- How much will the upgraded software cost me, in addition to the paid support contract?
5- Will the upgraded software require a new serial number? If so, how and when will it be delivered?
6- If new versions of BI are released during my support contract, will I get them for free?

The second part of this question relates to any real or potential upgrade benefits and problems:

7- What are the major advantages of upgrading at this time?
8- What are the known problems or new limitations that might occur during or after an upgrade?
9- There's apparently an issue with Reolink cameras (or their configurations) and Blue Iris. Has this issue been resolved?
TimG

Re: Update cost and potential problems when upgrading

Post by TimG »

You will find price details and more here:https://blueirissoftware.com/ near the bottom of the page.

If you are not presently in a support plan, then the upgrade page in BI5 should block you from updating - well it does with recent versions... It used to let you update, then put you into demo mode with no way back, so this is an improvement.

So:
1. Support plan required to update BI5 if support has expired.
2. See above web link. One is a one off payment, the other is ongoing so is slightly cheaper. I don't use the priority support.
3. One year from the date you start it.
4. Nothing. If you already have BI4 or BI5 there is no charge.
5. If a support key is required, it will be sent to the registered email address (In BI5 settings).
6. Yes if you are in a valid support contract.
7. Sub-streams and Deepstack.
8. There have been hiccups in upgrading that were sorted out by the next upgrade.
9. I don't know. I think most of it was due to not being able to set the camera to be more compliant. I have heard of firmware updates for Reolink cameras.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
tacman7

Post by tacman7 »

I bought extended support so I could get 5.

I did it for a second year cause these guys deserve it.

But I could stop the extended service (that I've never used)

And go without updates for a while and get service later when I want to update.

It would still work the same as it does now?

Thanks
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Yes, it would. If you are considering that strategy, I'll share my opinion. When you have a question or a problem, writing BI Support delivers the most reliable information. I used to never write support - but the forums being what they are, tribal knowledge and all... when I need to understand what's going on, I write support. I have come to the conclusion that if I pay for support, I have no reservation (any more) about getting my money's worth. So... my point is, to me, I'll pay if to earn the right to have my questions answered.

That aside, I can tell you that I have asked for features or refinements, and the developer has been SUPER responsive and implemented several of my requests. And others as well. So... for 30 bux a year, I can rationalize it.

That said, if you consider dropping it, I'd make sure I was on the latest stable version before doing so.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.