I Am Starting to Regret "Upgrading" to Blue Iris 5

justinbowser

I Am Starting to Regret "Upgrading" to Blue Iris 5

Post by justinbowser »

I "upgraded" to the latest Blue Iris software in hopes that it would be better at keeping my cameras on line than version 4. Unfortunately it's no better and to add insult to injury it just decides to randomly quit. Nothing in the log about why and the only evidence in the log that it had quit is a line that states "Restarted after unexpected shutdown ." This happens whether the app is in the foreground or minimized to the system tray.

It still drops cameras offline even when the camera shows functional in the ReoLink app.

Is there another level of logging, or a debug mode, I can run that might shed some light on this?

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, Intel processor at 3.4 GHz, and 16 GB RAM so I don't think it's a hardware resource issue. All cameras are ReoLink running at 5 GHz.
YrbkMgr

Re: I Am Starting to Regret "Upgrading" to Blue Iris 5

Post by YrbkMgr »

it just decides to randomly quit
That's a clear indication that you have a configuration issue on your machine, not necessarily with BI. I upgraded from 4 -> 5 in July this year and don't have those issues.

Have you reviewed the Onboarding section of the forum and reviewed the support videos to make sure you have things configured correctly?
You might also take a gander at Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

There are always corner cases that can make one system/configuration crash hard while others seem to work fine.

I am have not heard of any consistent reports of problems so it might, unfortunately, be time for a full system reload from the bare OS up. Clean install from MS Media, necessary drivers, then BI.

To answer your literal question, no, I am not aware of any logging other than the system log in the tool.
justinbowser

Post by justinbowser »

Well, unfortunately reloading from scratch is not in the cards. I will contact BI Support and switch back to version 4. Although cameras dropped off line in BI 4 it at least stayed running.

Thanks for the replies,

Justin B.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Unlikely they will be able to help. Just too many variables outside of their control. There is certainly a problem but there just isn't a way (I assume) for them to identify and fix it.

Good luck with it though. Seriously.

A refresh might be the only way to get a stable system. Or maybe sell the license (probably technically not allowed) to someone else.
mikeynags

Post by mikeynags »

justinbowser wrote:Well, unfortunately reloading from scratch is not in the cards. I will contact BI Support and switch back to version 4. Although cameras dropped off line in BI 4 it at least stayed running.

Thanks for the replies,

Justin B.
It may not be in the cards just yet but it is something I’ve come across personally. You’ll find that same advice on other forums as well from users who have had similar experiences as yours. Use the Microsoft media creation tool and reload that thing and you are most likely to see your issues get resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

As I said above, try renaming your existing cams then create new ones, I did this one by one for all my cams and for me this stopped the random service has restarted errors that I had been previously seeing.
This is the answer for me, but I'll tell ya buddy.... it's right up there with pounding my b*lls flat with a wooden mallet. Hours of meticulous attention to detail and full of "guess and check" methods of troubleshooting.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
justinbowser

Post by justinbowser »

I will give re-adding cameras with different names a try. For right now I have switched back to BI4 and, as before, it has not died.

The part that makes it difficult is no BI logging of the event, like it never happened. The event is logged in Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.9.18, time stamp: 0x6111b547
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.9.18, time stamp: 0x6111b547
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000126b19f
Faulting process id: 0x43ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7978375e39390
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: d496907c-f62c-4fbb-aaea-ed36eeb5ab5e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 8/23/2021 4:32:36 PM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Ratblock
Description:
Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.9.18, time stamp: 0x6111b547
Faulting module name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.4.9.18, time stamp: 0x6111b547
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x000000000126b19f
Faulting process id: 0x43ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7978375e39390
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Report Id: d496907c-f62c-4fbb-aaea-ed36eeb5ab5e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Event Xml:

<System>
<Provider Name="Application Error" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>100</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-08-23T21:32:36.269817000Z" />
<EventRecordID>32555</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Ratblock</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>5.4.9.18</Data>
<Data>6111b547</Data>
<Data>BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>5.4.9.18</Data>
<Data>6111b547</Data>
<Data>c00000fd</Data>
<Data>000000000126b19f</Data>
<Data>43ac</Data>
<Data>01d7978375e39390</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe</Data>
<Data>d496907c-f62c-4fbb-aaea-ed36eeb5ab5e</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Regards,

Justin B.
Last edited by justinbowser on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

That exception code is explained on asp dot net as a stack overflow and looks like a problem in the application code.

I would write BI support.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

justinbowser wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:17 pm
The part that makes it difficult is no BI logging of the event, like it never happened. The event is looged in Windows Event Viewer:
No app ever logs the impending system crash !

Otherwise they just would have not had it crash :)

You could argue that it should not have crashed, sure. It should have detected whatever anomaly it found and logged the condition. But BI clearly didn't anticipate whatever anomaly your system is experiencing.