Do I Need a New Licence To Access A Remote Install?

alonalbert

Do I Need a New Licence To Access A Remote Install?

Post by alonalbert »

A nice feature of Blue Iris is remote connections, but I'm not sure if I can use this feature with a single licence.

I haven't tried this but I suspect that if I try to activate my licence on a different machine, it would present a problem.

I can access the remote server with a demo license but that will expire in a few weeks.

I don't think I should have to pay full price for another license for each machine I want to use a remote connection on.

Am I missing something?
Matts1984

Re: Do I Need a New Licence To Access A Remote Install?

Post by Matts1984 »

What kind of remote connection to the running server are you looking for? You can use a web interface (called UI3) to view anything... it's more of a view only interface, not for making admin changes. Most people will utilize a remote access solution to control the server if needed (remote desktop, teamviewer, etc).

I think it would be a complicated but possible setup to need an actual BI install on a second computer.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
alonalbert

Post by alonalbert »

I'm aware of the Web interface but I find that it's just not good enough.

Most notably, the event view does not have the timeline view which I use a lot.

BI already has a remote management system, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZA4tsVI4PY, but it seems to require purchasing another license which I find ridiculous.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Based on the date of that video, that would appear to be the way it's been since v5 was released. I agree it doesn't make a ton of sense, as the video notes as well, but I've had zero issues just remoting to the server. I'm sure theres a reason (video said it was "janky"???) but I've had no issue and prefer not installing a big software package on my laptop just so I can control something else. Then you run into potential versioning issues, etc. In a multi-admin environment I do get how that solution may be restrictive but not even sure how the remote management via full installation handles that.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
MikeLud

Post by MikeLud »

For the second install for remote connections you do need a second license. If you email support with your first license they will give you a discount code to purchase a second license at half price. One note the timeline alert snapshot does note work. You can install BI in demo mode on the PC and test it out for 15 days without a license.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Could you use remote access software such as Teamviewer or Splashtop to view the complete BI5 pc remotely ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

If you find it ridiculous you should use the solution you think is better.
ourtv

Post by ourtv »

HeneryH wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:02 am If you find it ridiculous you should use the solution you think is better.
Just curious what this comment brings to the conversation. You just login to flame the OP. Thinking it is outrageous to pay for an additional copy of the software just to monitor the first from another PC is fracking spot on! I understand they probably do not want multiple sights on one license but frankly it IS ridiculous to have to purchase a second copy just to monitor the first. Maybe $10 like the android app would make sense but 3.5 times that? (and that's after having to contact someone to get a half off code that should just come with the first purchase if it is available)
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I think this topic should be closed. The question has been asked and answered. Its the way it is, this is an official but community run forum. We have opinions and experience but do not speak for the company. We've voiced options we're aware of and what we're doing in similar solutions.

I have a headless server running in my basement. It's not a computer I'm local to. If I need to do anything advanced in the console, make changes, etc... I use Remote Desktop and have had zero issues with that myself. The system CPU increments slightly because of the established connection but I can view clips, adjust the timeline, make any config changes I want just as if I was using a directly connected monitor and keyboard. In a real pinch I can use Chrome Remote Desktop - which I've done from 1000 miles away on my cell phone before... not perfect, not ideal, but I got the job done. If that solution doesn't work for the OP - or anyone else - I totally get it. My setup is not yours. Having the right tool/tools for the job is important. Sometimes the right tool for a job isn't free, and sometimes you can use a screwdriver as a pry bar.... your call.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

ourtv wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:35 pm
HeneryH wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:02 am If you find it ridiculous you should use the solution you think is better.
Just curious what this comment brings to the conversation. You just login to flame the OP. Thinking it is outrageous to pay for an additional copy of the software just to monitor the first from another PC is fracking spot on! I understand they probably do not want multiple sights on one license but frankly it IS ridiculous to have to purchase a second copy just to monitor the first. Maybe $10 like the android app would make sense but 3.5 times that? (and that's after having to contact someone to get a half off code that should just come with the first purchase if it is available)
What good does it do to call the software you are asking about ridiculous? Putting a flame in the OP question deserves a flame back.

AND, you don't need another license to monitor a second location. Perhaps you should pay more attention.

If you want to CONTROL a second location then you need a second license.