Disable Webcast?

YrbkMgr

Disable Webcast?

Post by YrbkMgr »

I run two cameras with BI 5 on a home LAN and do not need remote access. The Cameras tab in the Status window shows that there is web casting occurring. How can I make sure that the cameras are only communicating with the local LAN via the wireless router only...and not broadcasting to the internet?
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
Optimus

Re: Disable Webcast?

Post by Optimus »

if you go to blue iris settings > web server > advanced, you could add your local subnet into the "limit by IP address" box. I.e. if your subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 then add in "+192.168.1.*" to that box. This would allow any host address for that subnet to access the web server. i.e. 192.168.1.10 could access it but 192.168.2.10 could not.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Optimus wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:02 pm if you go to blue iris settings > web server > advanced, you could add your local subnet into the "limit by IP address" box. I.e. if your subnet is 192.168.1.0/24 then add in "+192.168.1.*" to that box. This would allow any host address for that subnet to access the web server. i.e. 192.168.1.10 could access it but 192.168.2.10 could not.
I've read about using a subnet to isolate various devices on the LAN, but I'll tell ya buddy... I don't know enough about networking to know how - Even After hours and hours of reading about it. Any advice you might offer would be appreciated, but know that I'm grateful for your help with or without additional advice.

Peace...
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

go into your BI PC, open a command prompt and type the following:

Code: Select all

ipconfig
You should get an output like the following

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.100
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
Assuming you only have one NIc on the PC, do the same and post your output, we can go from there
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

@ Optimus

I only have one NIC, but several adapters. That's why I get so confused about which subnet for which adapter... here's my IPCONFIG output:

Windows IP Configuration

Unknown adapter NordLynx:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.0.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.0.0

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Default Switch):

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b190:2350:7847:f8cd%29
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.28.80.1
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (DESKTOP External LAN):

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e5b2:1e6f:8313:48d4%4
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.145
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::4eed:fbff:fe32:13d0%4

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Optimus

Post by Optimus »

YrbkMgr wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:34 pm @ Optimus

I only have one NIC, but several adapters. That's why I get so confused about which subnet for which adapter... here's my IPCONFIG output:

Windows IP Configuration

Unknown adapter NordLynx:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.0.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.5.0.0
Ok I'm going to assume that the above relates to some VPN client that you have running on the PC. I'm also going to assume that you are not accessing BI via this as you stated you do not need remote access in your first post.
YrbkMgr wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:34 pm

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (Default Switch):

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::b190:2350:7847:f8cd%29
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.28.80.1
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter vEthernet (DESKTOP External LAN):

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e5b2:1e6f:8313:48d4%4
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.145
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::4eed:fbff:fe32:13d0%4
Have you been using Hyper-V on this machine? It looks like you have Hyper-V features enabled. I'm going to assume that you are not using any machines running on Hyper-V to access BI so this leaves the 192.168.1.0/24 network. (You can confirm this by checking then ip addrses of any device you are accessing BI from, it should be 192.168.1.X whereby x is any number from 2 - 254 (excluding 145 as that is the IP address of your BI machine on this network)).

So in BI go to settings > Web Server > Advanced and add the following entry in the "Limit access by Ip address" field:

+192.168.1.*
This will stop any device with an IP address in a different network from being able to access the BI web service.

You can also confirm what devices are connecting to the web service by looking in the connections tab of the BI status window.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

@ Optimus

You, sir.... are a rock star! You made the correct assumptions and provided exactly the information I needed. I implemented your suggestion and am as happy as a clam. The reason that I was so confused is because I know enough to be dangerous and have a plug-n-play understanding of LAN concepts. I know terms, but don't have a full appreciation of their meaning. That said, I thought I'd finalize the discussion by providing an illustration of my network adapters.
Network adapters2.JPG
Network adapters2.JPG (95.36 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
This exercise helped me understand a bit more about what's going on in my system and with BI's advanced network features. So thank you for that.

One question however. After implementing your suggestion, my BI status window still shows values for Webcast on the Cameras tab. What's that all about? See below:
BI Camera Webcast_edit.JPG
BI Camera Webcast_edit.JPG (43.71 KiB) Viewed 4072 times
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

Great! Glad i was able to help!

With regards to the values in your "Webcast" column. Its important to understand what these values represent first. The columns from "Motion" over to "No Signal" are counters. i.e. they will increment by 1 every time an event that matches the column happens. I.e. If you unplug your camera, you will get a "no signal" event and the value in that column for that camera will increment +1.

The same applies to the "Webcast" column except the metrics that the values represent here are 'frames viewed by web server or app users'. I.e. if you connect to BI3 and view a camera, each frame viewed will see the value increment +1 per frame. These values will remain untill the counters are cleared by clicking the reset button.

If you reset the values to 0 and access via BI3 locally, you will see these values begin to rise again as you are viewing the camera frames via the web server. In your case now, you will only be accessing the webserver locally on your 192.168.1.0/24 network.

If you look on the "connections" tab, you can see the IP addresses of the devices connected to BI. In your case, any active connections should now only be in the 192.168.1.0/24 network range.

Hope that makes sense.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Optimus wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:14 am Great! Glad i was able to help!

With regards to the values in your "Webcast" column. Its important to understand what these values represent first. The columns from "Motion" over to "No Signal" are counters. i.e. they will increment by 1 every time an event that matches the column happens. I.e. If you unplug your camera, you will get a "no signal" event and the value in that column for that camera will increment +1.

The same applies to the "Webcast" column except the metrics that the values represent here are 'frames viewed by web server or app users'. I.e. if you connect to BI3 and view a camera, each frame viewed will see the value increment +1 per frame. These values will remain untill the counters are cleared by clicking the reset button.

If you reset the values to 0 and access via BI3 locally, you will see these values begin to rise again as you are viewing the camera frames via the web server. In your case now, you will only be accessing the webserver locally on your 192.168.1.0/24 network.

If you look on the "connections" tab, you can see the IP addresses of the devices connected to BI. In your case, any active connections should now only be in the 192.168.1.0/24 network range.

Hope that makes sense.
Finally... someone who I can trust knows what he's talking about. I've been searching high and low for answers about the webcast column, the network thing... just trying to understand the features - and that "other forum" was just FOS.

Makes perfect sense - that explains the observed behavior over time. I don't know how you learned this - it seems as though there's a lot of tribal knowledge despite BI's best efforts with documentation.

I'm SO SO grateful for your help... finally, I'm getting somewhere. Thanks again man.
Optimus

Post by Optimus »

YrbkMgr wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:36 pm
Finally... someone who I can trust knows what he's talking about. I've been searching high and low for answers about the webcast column, the network thing... just trying to understand the features - and that "other forum" was just FOS.

Makes perfect sense - that explains the observed behavior over time. I don't know how you learned this - it seems as though there's a lot of tribal knowledge despite BI's best efforts with documentation.

I'm SO SO grateful for your help... finally, I'm getting somewhere. Thanks again man.
ahh you're welcome! thanks for your kind words. To be honest i learned most of it from playing with the software for a bit, reading the help file and combined that with the fact i've worked in some shape or form in the computer industry for moons.

I think the "other forum" can be a bit hostile if you give any indication of not "reading the cliff notes" etc alright but there are some good nuggets of info in there if you read for long enough.

This forum seems a lot quieter but im sure it will grow and for growth to happen, people need to ask questions :)