Log filename change not allowed - *Update: Fixed*

Sparks

Log filename change not allowed - *Update: Fixed*

Post by Sparks »

V5.4.8.2
Unable to change log file to a new file. I have done this many times but now it will not allow the update. I normally use the log viewer to update the the log file name when the log get too large and unruly. Anyone else see this?

I hope this is a sign that they are finally going to work on the log system as log files remain a weak point in BI. There should be an option to auto-create a new log file each month instead of creating a >2GB file that nothing can read. The Log files really are not a very useful tool in BI. Unusable if you don't babysit the system.
Last edited by Sparks on Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimG

Re: Log filename change not allowed

Post by TimG »

Double odd,

It **looks** like it's easy to change the file name. I assume you untick the log file, rename and then re-tick it ? What is happening when you try this ? I'm wondering if the file was locked when you tried to rename it.

I thought that the log file was un-managed and would grow if left on, so I leave it off unless I need to see something, but mikeynags said here viewtopic.php?p=9321#p9321 that the log file is managed and that a new log file is generated every month. I'm sure one of us is wrong, but I have no evidence either way :?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Hi Tim, I read the link you posted and I can't figure out how he has it generating a new file each month. That is precisely what is needed. I do think he is mistaken.

As it stands I am unable to edit the filename with or without the checkbox ticked. I guess I will un-tick the Save to File box, and do a restart of BI to see if that changes anything.

Later that same day: No such luck. The text input box does not allow me to enter a filename. Could you please have a look at yours. The last log file was called March21 and when I got around to looking at it, it was over 38Meg. I just cut all the old log files out of the folder and BI created a new log file called March21.txt But it still won't allow filename change.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

BI does generate a new log file every month, I assume it's reading the system date and time to know when to do so.

The log files can get pretty big (well over 100 megs a month depending on how active your system is) and it stores them as well, so you can eat up a fair bit of space if you let it log events.

Like TimG, I usually leave the box unticked to avoid any unnecessary load on the system. There's generally no need to log events unless you're experiencing an issue and need to troubleshoot it.

EDIT: It looks like I can change the filename at will, so I'm un sure why it's not letting you do it. (??)
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Thixotropic wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:54 pm BI does generate a new log file every month, I assume it's reading the system date and time to know when to do so.

The log files can get pretty big (well over 100 megs a month depending on how active your system is) and it stores them as well, so you can eat up a fair bit of space if you let it log events.

Like TimG, I usually leave the box unticked to avoid any unnecessary load on the system. There's generally no need to log events unless you're experiencing an issue and need to troubleshoot it.

EDIT: It looks like I can change the filename at will, so I'm un sure why it's not letting you do it. (??)
@TimG This is interesting. I saw another system where the log filename was set to %Y%m.txt so it is possible there was an update at some time that allows the log file to be changed each month.

My log filename cannot be edited and is locked in at March21.txt. I have tried a re-install over the existing folder and then importing the config but it ended up with the same filename locked.

Edit: Fixed
So the fix was to edit the registry \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Perspective Software\Blue Iris\Options LogPath setting needed to be changed to the %M%y.txt manually. The registry settings were not removed during an uninstall and re-install.
So it created a new file 202106.txt. The registry can also be modded to add another character to the string. Mine now reads 2021_06.txt.