RECOMMENDED CPU AND HARDWARE

andrewgepp

RECOMMENDED CPU AND HARDWARE

Post by andrewgepp »

Greetings Smart People,

I'm currently running BI5 with a Dell XPS 8700, Windows 10 Home, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz [100%], RAM: 4.31G/15.9G. I'm noticing performance degradation probably due to the older processor and diminishing storage space.

Running a combination of 15 POE HiKVision 4MP and Lorex 8MP cams.

I've reviewed the typical computer specs at BI, but I wanted to reach out to the forum to ask if you have any recommendations to replace or upgrade my PC. I would appreciate any recommendations you may have for PC, CPU, storage, etc.

The PC is primarily used to host and run BI. I don't use it for gaming or any other resource-intensive programs, etc.

Thanks,
Andrew
andrew.gepp@cox.net
TimG

Re: RECOMMENDED CPU AND HARDWARE

Post by TimG »

Well there is a question with a million correct answers ! I guess it depends on how much you want to spend/ if you can swap a cpu/ want to pick up a "refurbished" pc from Ebay, or want to future proof it with the latest hardware.

Swap cpu:
1. So i7-4790 is a 2014 Haswell cpu with a LGA1150 socket. Does your [100%] mean it's running at that all the time ?
2. Check your motherboard part number to see what is the fastest cpu it can handle. May require BIOS update.
3. Fit more storage drives.

Refurbished:
4. Find a pc on Ebay with a more recent cpu, The 4790 is Gen4, so there are plenty of newer Gen cpu's.
5. Fit more storage drives.

Latest hardware:
6. The world is your oyster.
7. Fit more storage drives.

But you know all of that ! In the middle ground, I would look for a pc with a newer cpu like the i7-7700k, which is quite popular. Take a look at a cpu comparison site to see the differences between your chosen cpu and your existing i7-4790 https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/I ... 2293vs3647

You can also take a look here to see what other people are using with BI5 https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Also see this thread where the OP has updated from a Gen4 intel cpu to Gen6 and seen a big reduction in cpu load viewtopic.php?f=8&p=9256#p9256

And of course there are all of the new tweaks to reduce cpu load.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Here is a database of lots of users with different CPUs. Just as a sanity check...

https://biupdatehelper.hopto.org/default.html#stats
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »