Cannot open direct-to-disk .mp4 files

johnRandall

Cannot open direct-to-disk .mp4 files

Post by johnRandall »

Hello,

I am using BI 5.3.7.6 on Windows 10. I am successfully recording video streams "Direct to disc" .mp4 format, however whenever I try to open them (with VLC or Quicktime), nothing shows up.

In Quicktime, I get the error: "An Invalid Sample Description was found in the movie".

Codec shows up as H264 in BI but VLC, it shows up as H265.

Any advice or things to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Thixotropic

Re: Cannot open direct-to-disk .mp4 files

Post by Thixotropic »

Are you using Quicktime? A lot of the errors I found searching on that message seem to be related to using Quicktime.

"This error can be linked to the wrong Audio codec in the .mp4 container. Some encoders incorrectly put this as 103 rather than 64. One can use mp4ui or some third-party tools to change the codec."
https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/blo ... -mp4-file/
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Why would D2D have any format associated with it? Aren't those in whatever format the stream is coming from the camera in?

More generally, it is best to export clips you want to use outside of BI.
johnRandall

Post by johnRandall »

Hello,

Thanks for the responses. I have switched over to saving to the BVR format. When I do that, and then export from within BI to .mp4, the files are now opening.

I am not sure if this is an issue with the .mp4 format, limitation of the format, or the implementation of it from BI. We'll continue to monitor to see if any issues come up with it again. Thank you everyone for the feedback.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

HeneryH wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:53 pm Why would D2D have any format associated with it? Aren't those in whatever format the stream is coming from the camera in?
I forgot about the container format vs the stream/compression format.