Confusion about access to updates to V5

balham

Confusion about access to updates to V5

Post by balham »

Currently I'm on V5.3.2.11 (25/9/2020) and downloaded and installed V5.4.3.12 (25/4/2021). I deactivated and then reactivated my original license and all worked OK for an hour but then the video now displays "Evaluation copy". My extended support expired last November and my questions are:

1. Do I need to have a current support and maintenance subscription to enable interim updates to V5 (e.g. V5.3.2.1 to V5.4.3.12)?
2. Should the interim updates (e.g. V5.3.2.1 to V5.4.3.12) still work without a current support and maintenance subscription?

I recognise that a support and maintenance subscription would be necessary to receive major updates.

I've just gone back to V5.3.2.11 (25/9/2020) and "Evaluation copy" has disappeared from the video.
Matts1984

Re: Confusion about access to updates to V5

Post by Matts1984 »

My understanding of it is that you need active support to get any future updates. You can however continue to run indefinitely on any version released prior to your November expiration.

IMO, while it wasn't always enforced, it's worth it to just pony up the annual renewal. I almost wish there was a longer term that cost more just to be done with it. I generally don't like paying for anything if I can avoid it but $30 or $35 (depending on currency and your renewal options) is generally less than a tank of gas. Plus, Ken really does put out fixes and updates very regularly so it's not like one of those packages you pay for support and get maybe an update a year.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
balham

Post by balham »

Can't disagree with your thoughts!
SpeedCam

Post by SpeedCam »

I upgraded from 5.3.2.11 to 5.4.1.1 last night and now I'm running into this also(camera streams have "Blue Iris Evaluation Version"). I upgraded because our Android apps stopped working a couple of days ago (after I got them working again with the intermediate CA cert fix a month or so ago!) so at least the BI service upgrade fixed our recent Android app breaks. Deactivating/reactivating my license "fixed" things for half an hour until the "evaluation version" string showed up again. Like OP my my support expired near end of last year.

I'm a bit conflicted here as I was compelled to update because the existing Android apps were broken. Also I'd argue it's not initially clear in the pricing matrix that you lose software updates if you let any support tier expire. But I suppose that's a me problem because if I approach the matrix with the intent of "I want current version updates" then it's clearer I must check one of the three boxes for basic/extended/priority. I guess what's missing is the implied 4th column of "expired"?
bisupportpricingmatrix_fixed.png
bisupportpricingmatrix_fixed.png (51.1 KiB) Viewed 5529 times
(I might still be a little salty about this licensing surprise after trying to fix another issue I was already a little salty about :D )

I guess what I don't like here is the "wasn't always enforced" aspect. If BI has moved to an annual subscription then just come out and be clear about it? Software updates were clearly free in the BI4 timeframe so I'm guessing this change in software update policy occurred with the BI5 release?

// edit: I appears now that I'm going through the support purchase flow ( https://order.shareit.com/cart/add?vend ... 0947481]=1 ) it's clear that software updates are only included if you keep support contract going. You wind up with two keys-- one for product activation and one for support activation. Confirmed you can have an "activated" product but still see "evaluation version" unless you have a current support activation.
Screenshot 2021-04-28 103308.png
Screenshot 2021-04-28 103308.png (60.34 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
And trying to purchase it shows automatic payment turned on by default:
Screenshot 2021-04-28 103406.png
Screenshot 2021-04-28 103406.png (37.38 KiB) Viewed 5528 times
Last edited by SpeedCam on Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SpeedCam

Post by SpeedCam »

After what I just saw, assuming someone wants to use BI indefinitely then it seems like more headache (and $5/yr costlier) to avoid the subscription option. That is, I could have bought the single year extension but then just go back into "evaluation version" at any point after the year lapses.

Looks like cancelling the subscription is pretty straightforward at https://account.mycommerce.com but yes it appears you need to use the correct user ID associated with the order. We wind up with two-- one for "Blue Iris (full)" and one for "Blue Iris Extended Support and Maintenance". Ideally a single user account could be used for all mycommerce.com purchases but oh well.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yeah I went with the auto-renewal because I don't foresee me going anywhere else BUT I made very well sure to bookmark that site and confirm my login in the event I ever do need/want to cancel.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
balham

Post by balham »

I have a question about the support plans - if I renew now, will the start date be back-dated to when mine ran out (last November) or will it start from today?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Good question, I do not know the answer to that one. The same could be asked I guess in the event you renewed early... if renewing a month early would you effectively only be extending for 11 months. I'm not sure.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Sounds about right. I let my first BI5 licence support plan lapse and used my second licence on my second server as my main cctv system.

Then six months later I decided to re-install BI5 on my main server with the original licence. I paid the ££'s for the support plan and noted that I got a year from the date I paid - not from when it lapsed.

Why two licences ? Testing ! The second server is the i5-3330 and it has the big hard drives. This uses BI5 motion detection, sub-streams etc. The first server is now being used to evaluate Dahua Onvif triggers/trip wires with the same camera without BI5 doing any motion detection at all. Since I now have a box of Dahua ptz's, I should be able to use their own motion detection to minimise BI5 cpu usage. This server also runs Emby, HS4 etc. Apparently I still need sub-streams to keep the cpu load down while looking at the full screen matrix of cameras.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Interesting, some changes have been made to the BI5 update screen. My i5-3330 BI5 installation support and maintenance plan has just expired, and if I go to update BI5 it won't allow me to update past my present version as it is ghosted out. I can remain with present/ install the latest critical update, or install a previous version. The only way to break it now is to download and install the main installation file :lol:

FYI: Ken may give a discount on a second support plan if you have more than one BI5 licence. I can't guarantee it, but do ask !
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.