Android client(s) all stopped working

Post Reply
Homer81
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by Homer81 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:01 am

Not sure what happened but 3 different Android devices all stopped working last night. The server is fine and I can access it locally at http://locahost:port as well as over the network at http:/x.x.x.x:port. but in the app, I get "unable to connect" .. I haven't changed anything in the last 12 hours but this morning, it broke...

Android client is 3.0.25. which by looking in Play store was just recently update.

Anyone with insight on this? Could be a major issue if an update just randomly broke people's installs.
User avatar
terk
Posts: 151
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by terk » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:04 am

If your app had still been on an older version it might still have been working with self-signed certs which no longer work so I had to change my Android App settings to use http to connect for it to work again.
Homer81
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by Homer81 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:23 am

I'm already using http and not https. Still isn't working.

just to confirm, you went into your server settings and chose http:// instead of https://. riht?
Homer81
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by Homer81 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:06 am

Did a little sniffing around. It seems the Blue Iris update on the phone broke the working setup. it seems it's not passing the right details to the authentication system with BI...

See attached


shark1.jpg
shark1.jpg (207.36 KiB) Viewed 1050 times



@Devs - ball in your court.
DeaneG
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:19 pm

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by DeaneG » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:18 pm

My Android BI app stopped connecting too. I just updated the android app to 3.0.26; it still can't connect.
DeaneG
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:19 pm

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by DeaneG » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:53 pm

UI3 is still working well from a browser, but camera streams over the LAN using RTSP results in "too many login attempts" and "IP banned". I have BI set to not require authentication within my LAN. This problem is in addition to my android phone app no longer working. It's quite frustrating - my biggest problem with BI over the years has been getting the phone app to log into the server successfully over my LAN. EDIT: looks like the problem is related to using an Anonymous login with no password. I made a new user with password, used that to connect the phone app, and it's working well now. I also changed to using this new username and login for my rtsp streaming app.
Homer81
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by Homer81 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:27 am

sure hope the BlueIris team is aware of it. Looking at the Play Store ratings and comments, it seems there are some pretty upset customers..

Was this tested before the new app was uploaded? Guess i'll be turning off auto-update for the BI client.
Matts1984
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by Matts1984 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 pm

If you have the time, tomorrow's Webinar is specifically about connecting Mobile Apps.

The root of the issue *may* be down to design implementation vs something broken in BI. Both Apple and Google have been making changes to app policies and a method that worked previously may go against their policy now and is either directly broken because of that OR Blue Iris might have had to make changes to comply themselves.
Blue Iris 5.4.7.x | Server 2019 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 3x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 2x SV3C 3MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
3p1phany
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm

Re: Android client(s) all stopped working

Post by 3p1phany » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 am

I tested this today and both version 2 and version 3.x still work for me. I'm using a OnePlus 7T on Android 11. I keep rolling back to version 2 because alert images never show up on version 3 and the UI 'improvements' really aren't. No help to you but this is likely an intermittent issue depending on your android version and phone. Clearly the Android version needs work/help, it's really frustrating considering how much I like the PC software.
Post Reply