Config cams in BI or cams at their GUI or BOTH?

numbbrrr

Config cams in BI or cams at their GUI or BOTH?

Post by numbbrrr »

I have an old i5 CPU desktop that I've been using for years with BI. The Western Digital blue drive has been spinning non stop for 4 years now. I'd like to configure motion detection. I'm using an Amcrest IP cam and a SCW warehouse cam. BOTH of these cams I can log into via their IP. Both I can confgure motion detection settings there. However BI has places to configure motion detection too. Can I just configure BI and treat it like the MASTER settings and not touch or even enable motion detection in the actual camera GUI? Thanks in advance.
TimG

Re: Config cams in BI or cams at their GUI or BOTH?

Post by TimG »

Hi numbbrrr,

All BI5 needs is the video. It can't do much with most of the manufacturer specific detection. If you want BI to record when motion is detected, then you will be setting this up in BI.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Yeah the way I would recommend is to config the cam stream on the cameras themselves (you cannot set these properties in BI, it just reports what its getting). Settings like FPS, keyframes, compression methods, etc are done here. I believe you CAN use the built in camera detection capabilities but I've never explored that. I like having the single point of configuration, on BI, with it's properties and settings. I've tweaked plenty, but never been disappointed.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
TimG

Post by TimG »

Todays webinar showed how some Onvif cameras can do their own motion detection and report it to BI5. Basically:

1. Camera settings/Video/Configure.
2. Tick "Get Onvif trigger events".
3. Trigger menu/ tick "Camera's digital input or motion alarm.".

I haven't tried this so cannot help much, but this could take some load off of the cpu on multi-camera systems. Some experimentation required, as each camera is different.
Forum Moderator.
cayossarian

Post by cayossarian »

In my experience, even with new cameras, the BI motion detection is superior, especially when coupled with AI to eliminate false alerts from shadows, leaves, etc. At one point I tried using motion detection on the edge in some new Hikvision cameras touting AI for human/vehicle but Onvif alerts never made it to BI. What I ended up with was camera recording to local storage and BI recording to central database, fine but not ideal. Onvif is a bit of a loose standard so while BI can pull streams the other integration like alerts is hit and miss. Your milaege may vary.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Yes, I have been running my normal BI5 using BI5 motion detection against a second BI5 using only Onvif triggers. Both have the same Dahua camera. Even without Deepstack I think BI5 has been doing a better job. Now I just need to find out how to stop DS giving me a black screen on the server...
Forum Moderator.