New ISP causing connection issues

Post Reply
lexmark
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 pm

New ISP causing connection issues

Post by lexmark » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:31 pm

Hello, I had a new ISP installed at my house the other day and since then I have only been able to access my BI camera feeds from the IOS app while on my local wifi. When I am on a cellular network it will not connect. I have ensured that both my LAN and WAN address match what shows on the pc software. When I run the remote access wizard it notifies me that my actual internet/wan address is different than what my router shows. I only have one router. Nothing other than the ISP has been changed in my setup and everything worked flawlessly before. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Matts1984
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: New ISP causing connection issues

Post by Matts1984 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:26 pm

How are you getting access from the router to the server? Are you doing port forwarding (did you configure it on any new ISP hardware) or something else? I'm not sure why the discrepancy in the remote access wizard detected "WAN" setting vs what your router shows but I would trust the router since it IS the device with the IP address.

I'm also assuming nothing else odd/strange with the ISP. Some less common things like PPPoE might be a little wonky... and could be not allowing inbound connections. If you're doing port forwarding, really all of the config is on your router and the server itself doesn't need anything else other than a known address to forward to.
Blue Iris 5.4.7.x | Server 2019 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 3x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 2x SV3C 3MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
lexmark
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Re: New ISP causing connection issues

Post by lexmark » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:33 pm

The server is wired through a switch which is connected directly to the router. I set up port forwarding in my router when i initially set up the server and nothing has been changed.
It was pointed out to me on a different forum where i posted the same question that my new ISP might require a static IP for connections like this. I am using go net speed for my ISP and it says right on their website that access to things like cameras and PLEX servers require static IP. I have called them and started the process of getting one for an additional $10/month. I will update this thread after it’s live once I find out if it works.
Matts1984
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: New ISP causing connection issues

Post by Matts1984 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:21 pm

A static IP certainly makes things easier.... but I highly doubt it's REQUIRED. You can use Dynamic DNS to get around it.
Blue Iris 5.4.7.x | Server 2019 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 3x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 2x SV3C 3MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
atreyu
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:22 pm

Re: New ISP causing connection issues

Post by atreyu » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 pm

Some ISP’s block certain service ports from being requested from their customers. Port 25 the email port is a common one. They could also be blocking 80, 81, and 443. Have you tried a random high number port?
jboswald
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:17 pm

Re: New ISP causing connection issues

Post by jboswald » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 pm

I had the same problem when I switched Metronet. Discovered that the new service provider is utilizing a function called Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT) which utilizes a second level of network address translation (NAT) which renders port forwarding ineffective. In researching my problem some suggested solutions were to install VPN (a little cumbersome to provide my wife and kids access to our cameras) or request a static IP address from the ISP.. (Metronet provided a static IP address free for 1 year, then $10 a month after that). That resolved the problem and allowed port forwarding to work once again.
Post Reply