Camera overlays in MP4

camera43

Camera overlays in MP4

Post by camera43 »

Hi I searched for the answer, but maybe I missed it. When I auto send files to archive, I have them saved as MP4's so other systems can view the files . But when I do, it doesn't save with the time overlay, which is provided by BI not the camera. I also have it setup as direct to disc. Is there a step in setup that I've missed or does this just not save this way?

From Archive
Screenshot 2021-01-19 131644.png
Screenshot 2021-01-19 131644.png (157.58 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
From BI
Screenshot 2021-01-19 131717.png
Screenshot 2021-01-19 131717.png (33.87 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
MikeBwca

Re: Camera overlays in MP4

Post by MikeBwca »

Overlays are recorded in the bvr as metadata, separately from the video. And, can be set to display or not display during playback/export.

Also, you can specify if a particular overlay object is visible during playback/export. This is done by checking the 'Require live display of overlay at the time of recording', while editing the overlay object in 'Edit Overlays' of the Video tab. If checked, the overlay object will NOT display during playback/export.

To get overlays in your recording, you'll need to check both the 'Re-encode video' and 'Add text/graphic overlays from direct-to-disc BVR' in the Export options.
If the overlay object ''Require live display of overlay at the time of recording'' is enabled, it will not display on the export, even if the above option is enabled.
ramaz16

Post by ramaz16 »

Instead of exporting a section of BVR file with overlay by re-encoding, which is a CPU intensive process, is it possible to trim and save an existing BVR section as a separate BVR without re-encoding?
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

No it is not. Export as bvr would be nice, and I was planning on suggesting this. The more suggestions they get the better.
ramaz16

Post by ramaz16 »

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:44 am Export as bvr would be nice.
Any progress on that? Do BI devs ever explained, why the package doesn't allow to trim & export created by it BVR files in BVR format? Would be nice to hear their reply and logic if any.
Last edited by ramaz16 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

I'm having trouble understanding the use case for exporting BVR clips. The workaround is to uncheck the Cut/Combine option in the recording tab. That way each event is it's own bvr.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
ramaz16

Post by ramaz16 »

YrbkMgr wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:51 pm I'm having trouble understanding the use case for exporting BVR clips. The workaround is to uncheck the Cut/Combine option in the recording tab. That way each event is it's own bvr.
To trim unrelated footage, while keeping relevant to your purpose events sequence in one video. It also allows to cut on used disk space, since most of a lengthy recording may be useless in the future. Unchecking Cut/Combine would result in saving many short clips, thus clattering the DB and Clips View, inconvenient to quickly review all on Fast Forward at the end of day.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Okay, fair enough. But why are you manually managing clip storage? If I understand you right, you want to manually remove unwanted video clip by clip - I'm not sure why. Consider the following:

Managing and Archiving Recordings - An often under appreciated feature - Your archive storage is virtually unlimited because you can add storage devices as needed. You have the ability to fine tune archiving with time periods and/or size. You can also automatically engage database compacting/repairing. I don't care anymore about false triggers resulting in storage space being eaten up - Clips and Archiving manages all of that for me. Kind of set it and forget it. Worth looking into in my view.

Manually disk space and such can be dicey. BI recommends against manual deletions and to rely instead on moving/deleting, etc from within the console so as to avoid corruption of the database. Ask me how I know...

I'm sure you know all this, I'm just sharing how I think about it.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
ramaz16

Post by ramaz16 »

YrbkMgr wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:26 am why are you manually managing clip storage?
I think we are talking about different use cases. For example, I'm not certain that keeping all recorded files forever or deleting files after a certain time lapse is the best approach to any use case. Besides, recorded files aren't only destined for storage, but often for use in a particular task. I could leave the original BVRs in Saved folder, but collect a set of small trimmed clips of the larger BVRs in another task driven folder fast and without quality loss. Later they may be combined into a larger BVR file (hopefully with BI help) and then exported into one longer task driven MP4.
Last edited by ramaz16 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Seems to me it's infinitely easier and safer to just buy more storage and set your preferences in BI. I'm of the opinion that BI can do it better and more reliably than me - set it and forget it.

I'm not saying I'm right, just how I see it.