I've shucked a Seagate Backup Plus Hub 10TB External Hard Drive USB 3.0, to use as a backup drive. I had gotten 1 at around 139 new, and the other at around 220. Currently $230 on Amazon. The drive inside the enclosure is the exact drive Seagate Barracuda Pro Compute Sata 6, 7200 RPM, 256MB that was selling for around $350 at the time. Now Seagate skips the 10tb in their listings. I can't find new 10 or 12tb on amazon. The 14tb runs $540!
If your looking for a HDD drive for the BlueIris database, get a Seagate Skyhawk (Or WDD Purple). These are designed for surveillance systems.
If you can afford it, get 1 or more SSD's. I Use 1 2tb Seagate Barracuda Compute SSD. They run $220. Planning on adding a few more after I build my new desktop with raid.
Links to hardware below.
- I also use a StarTech Sata Hotswap bays on both my desktops. When a drive is inserted, it automatically powers up and mounts it to my Windows 10 system.
- When done, I use a utility 'HotSwap' to unmount - an amazing free utility. This uses Microsoft Sysinternals utilities, which you could also use to unmount any drive - but, this is easier.
From the Website, here are the features...
What it doesn't list is that it also flushes the cache.
- Friendly user interface equivalent to the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the notification area.
- Ensures all volumes on the drive are not in use before removing it.
- Spin-down the drive to remove the drive in safe.
- Also support a drive other than fixed disk drive.
- Supports the command line mode to run without graphical user interface.
- Multilingual user interface.
- Then, I remove it from the hotswap bay (de-shock first), put it back in the anti-static bad, and put it in a fireproof Sentry safe running around $58. But all you really need for a HDD and SSD's is a smaller safe.
Seagate 10tb Backup Plus 3.0 USB: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0798 ... X0DER&th=1
Seagate Skyhawk HDD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H231394/re ... =UTF8&th=1
Seagate SSD: https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracud ... 192&sr=1-4
StarTech Hotswap Bay: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-5-2 ... 286&sr=1-4
Hotswap utility: http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm
Sentry Fireproof .65 cf Safe: https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-HD410 ... 199&sr=8-3