CPU 100%

shiggins9

CPU 100%

Post by shiggins9 »

CPU usage spikes to 100%. I have to remote desktop 2-3X/day to reset the computer.

System:
Win10
Intel i5-3470
8GB RAM
9 cams, mostly Reolink
Using substreams
Intel Quicksync
BI running on internal 128GB SSD
All clips save to internal 6TB HDD
CPU: ~8% for a few hours then spikes to 100%
Most cameras just drop out

Wasn't a problem w BI4. I bought BI5, problem persists. Have tried multiple versions of Intel driver, have reformatted and reinstalled Win10 multiple times. I'm ready to throw this computer out the window.
Matts1984

Re: CPU 100%

Post by Matts1984 »

The Blue Iris Status > Cameras tab may help provide some additional details on your setup but since you mention it runs pretty lean most of the time... but then spikes, it sounds like it might be something other than BI itself? Do you have an AV client running on this system? It may be trying to scan your database or video directories and since they're heavily in use, it's spiking. Excluding those directories may help.

Anything else in particular running on this system?
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Also... Exclude the BI database folder/drive from your Antivirus, and, Windows indexing.
shiggins9

Post by shiggins9 »

Good ideas, I just did these a few hours ago.

Cameras just went out. Android app says CPU 100%. Task manager says BI using ~99% CPU.

Any way to find out why BI goes from 8% CPU to 99% and all the cameras go out?
Last edited by shiggins9 on Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

- Do you have 'Limit Decoding' enabled on the cameras?
- What is the make/model of the hard drive...'internal 6TB HDD'?
shiggins9

Post by shiggins9 »

MikeBwca wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:22 pm - Do you have 'Limit Decoding' enabled on the cameras?
- What is the make/model of the hard drive...'internal 6TB HDD'?
Yes, I have "Limit decoding unless required" Selected for all cameras
9 cams: 8 Reolink RLC-420, 1 Foscam VGA
HD: System - Liteon LCS-128M6S, Storage - SATA 6TB Seagate st6000as0002

I just set the BI Service to stop and start every 8 hours in Task Scheduler. If the CPU is at 100%, it will remain at 100% so this isn't a solution.

I just made an auto-reboot schedule in Task Scheduler every 12 hours. The problem is that sometimes the CPU spikes in 1-2 hours so I'm not sure if I should program 24 auto reboots in Task Scheduler. That will take time, in itself, and be a band-aid while avoiding the problem and having the system go down for a few minutes every hour,so this isn't a great solution.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

The cpu usage swings from 8-100% will happen when 'Limit decoding unless required' is enabled.

For me, 'Limit decoding unless required"' did nothing until version 5.3.3.0, when it started working. Then, my cpu usage varried between 6% and the normal 24-45%.

Limit decoding will process ONLY the keyframes. This effects the console & motion detection, so the console will look jittery and the motion detection will miss things depending on the keyframe setting. But the bvr recordings will still be at the cameras fps and look normal.

When there is little change in the cameras image, less 'in-between' frames are sent, and cpu usage decreases. As the cameras images changes during motion/breezes..., or at night when there is more artifacts in the image, the frames increase.

I turned 'Limit decoding unless required"' OFF on all cameras, and I'm back to my normal 24-45% cpu usage.

One thing to note about large keyframes... 1) you'll miss more motion triggers, and, 2) when exporting, the start/stop frames will be set on a keyframe. So having a large keyframe will result in strange start/end points in exported video.

Not sure what your cameras fps/key rates are set too. I would suggest setting the cameras fps to 15 fps, and, the keyframe also to 15.
Set your console 'Limit Live Preview' to 15 also.

Also minimizing the BI console when not needed will save a bit of cpu.
shiggins9

Post by shiggins9 »

FPS: 15
Running as service
All cams recording all the time

Update: I just reformatted on different system HD, installed clean Win10, changed storage HD, installed BI5. Within 12 hours, I lost almost all cams and CPU shot up to 100%

I have not tried: "Limit decoding unless required OFF on all cameras." I will try this and see if I get the random CPU spike. I like the Reolink cameras but their main drawbacks are that keyframes are non-existent and the framerate drops a lot in the dark. Maybe the issue is BI not being able to interpret keyframe data. I gotta figure this out or I'll have to shop for hardware DVRs. It would be a shame to give up after coming this far - I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

No keyframes!

What does BlueIris Status/Camera tab say for the cameras FPS/Key column?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

MikeBwca wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:57 am No keyframes!

What does BlueIris Status/Camera tab say for the cameras FPS/Key column?
Thats why I asked for the Cameras tab on Nov 23. If the Keyframes are set too frequent, as is often the case, the Limit Decoding option is FAR less effective. If a console, UI3, mobile app, etc is open somewhere as well and a feed is selected - the processing goes back to full rate so that would also result in a CPU jump. Mike is right on the recommended settings as that follows the Admin guide (recommended Keys should be '1' which is one Keyframe every 15 frames.)
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet