General Disk space question

gokiwi

General Disk space question

Post by gokiwi »

Hi,

I have a 2.72 TB available space to store "new" and "stored" recordings - Is there a guide as to how much space to allocate for each ?

Currently I have 1.0TB for "new" and 1.5TB for "stored" , with limit clip age to 5 days for "new" and 10 days for stored with the delete flag set after that.

Regards
Matts1984

Re: General Disk space question

Post by Matts1984 »

So I wouldn't necessarily say there is a guide - it boils down to how many days you want available.

One question though - is this all on the same physical/logical drive or is it being transferred to a different medium? If it's all on the same space, there is no benefit to breaking up new vs stored. Just maximize New to whatever you can afford and shrink all others to zero with no rules to transfer.

If they are different, in which case this is still a valid question, I would calculate it based on how much storage 5 days of video consumes for you (plus a little for margin of error). 5 days could easily be 1.0TB but it could be many TB depending on number of cameras and quality. Based on your numbers though, I would surmise that if 5 days took 1TB in new... you would not be able to get 10 days into 1.5TB.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras