Upgrade BI 4 to BI 5 ....easy config transfer?

numbbrrr

Upgrade BI 4 to BI 5 ....easy config transfer?

Post by numbbrrr »

If I upgrade my BI 4 to Bi5 is it a simple stand in place upgrade? Meaning does BI 5 take all the configurations of BI 4 automatically? I read somewhere that BI 5 installs separately from BI 4 and does not roll over the old configurations of 4 and you have to reset up everything....the configurations etc manually?!

One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is because in BI 4 when I exported the config files into a windows .reg ....registry file. I could never re-import that file into a new install of windows 10 and new install of BI 4. I'm hoping if BI 5 does not automatically grab the old BI 4 configurations then I could at least export the BI 4 .reg file then import it into the new install of BI 5.

Does anyone know if the registry import failure in BI 4 was fixed in BI 5? ....or better yet does BI 5 just grab the configuration files automatically and no need to do any import/export of registry files?

Any help or links to how to upgrade would be appreciated. Thanks!
terk

Re: Upgrade BI 4 to BI 5 ....easy config transfer?

Post by terk »

My guess is the issue you were having with export/import or registry settings from one BI4 instance to another was going from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS. I think you'd still have that issue with BI5 as its an issue with how the registry locations change and since the export files are encoded to make them unreadable for security of your passwords they cannot be easily modified to correct the locations. I'd suggest sending support an email to see if there is a way around that. The upgrade process from BI4 to BI5 wasn't flawless or it was pretty much until you uninstalled BI4.

You need to make sure you have your initial license key available in case it is needed and that you are up to date with support so your authorized in BI5. Then if I remember correctly the steps I followed were export from BI4 and turn off the run as a service option and close out of BI4, install BI5, Open BI5 and verify things and turn on the run as a service if you want then export again, then uninstall BI4 and answer no to removing setup too, although it likely will anyway. Open BI5 again and if it's not setup right import the settings you exported from BI5 a few minutes earlier, and you may also need to enter your license key again.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I just did this this week. Piece of cake. Much of the backups are in case you need to revert back to BI4.

The core of the update is a new application install that will update and change some of the old app registry settings.

When you are done you will have both a BI4 and a BI5 available. Once convinced you are good, then you delete BI4.

Follow the instructions and it is very easy.
LyndMc

Post by LyndMc »

I agree with Henry... mine went well too. IMO, what was not explained well was that you enter your BI4 license number when upgrading.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Yep, I did the same thing with keys. At least the error message tells you what to do.

You need to enter the "Support Key" and the "BI4 Key" in two different places when doing the upgrade.