Sharing IP cameras with two BI version 5 installs

Tonysal123

Sharing IP cameras with two BI version 5 installs

Post by Tonysal123 »

Have a BI v5 system up & running with 6 ip cameras. Thinking about purchasing a second license to have a redundant system running along side. Can I share the ip cameras with the two systems, any pitfalls or suggestions on having a fully redundant system. Thx
Matts1984

Re: Sharing IP cameras with two BI version 5 installs

Post by Matts1984 »

I can't think of any issues there (higher network load??) BI connects to the cameras and they just spit out what they are processing and shouldn't care one way or another if you have 2 systems connecting to them or 1 or 6.

After the cameras, BI is definitely the next most likely spot to have issues (nothing against BI specifically... it's just got the most moving parts AND runs on Windows :roll: ). It won't be completely redundant with single path network cables and switches - but those are pretty reliable these days!

If you've got the hardware and want to go overkill enough to have a second instance, knock your socks off. I have read that it 'might' be worth asking if support would provide any discount for having a second license. No clue though.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
LyndMc

Re: Sharing IP cameras with two BI version 5 installs

Post by LyndMc »

I've been running BI4 and now replaced with BI5, along with Amcrest Pro for years. I use Amcrest Pro to view remotely, but I like the zones, hot spots, and alarming on the BI software.