upgraded to fresh Win 10 install, now BI reverts to Evaluation version?!?

NGNeer314

upgraded to fresh Win 10 install, now BI reverts to Evaluation version?!?

Post by NGNeer314 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:10 pm

I bought BI back in 2017, and trhen a little over a year ago I had to purchase an upgrade license to be able to go to version 5.

Now I finally upgraded my PC to windows 10, I reinstalled BI, and when I put in my License key it only works for a few hours before reverting to "evaluation version"!

I understand that my "extended" support expired after a year, but I should still be allowed to run the software, right??

btw, before i decommisioned my windows 7 system, i went into BI and selected "Deactivate". I assumed that freed up my license so I could re-use it?
NGNeer314

Re: upgraded to fresh Win 10 install, now BI reverts to Evaluation version?!?

Post by NGNeer314 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:44 pm

ok, i found the topic titled "Evaluation water mark now showing despite registered account" so i think i know why this is happening.

I emailed support to try and get it fixed. I am hoping that I don't need to pay for another license or "support" plan. I was NEVER informed that this was going to end up being a "software as a service" deal that extorts more money from you year after year after year.... That would not be cool!
IAmATeaf

Re: upgraded to fresh Win 10 install, now BI reverts to Evaluation version?!?

Post by IAmATeaf » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:44 pm

The updates model now enforces something which the author always stated but never enforced.

You are now only allowed to install updates to around the end date of your support. I say around as you’ll need to experiment with which update you can install before you get the watermark.

So you should know when your support ended, find updates released around that date and install each in turn to see which version you can install before you get a watermark.