sporadic high RAM usuage and harddrive corruption FINALLY(?) solved!

NGNeer314

sporadic high RAM usuage and harddrive corruption FINALLY(?) solved!

Post by NGNeer314 »

I'm posting this in case it helps someone else...

TLDR: use SATA ports 1 and 2, NOT 3 and 4

full story:
Ever since i built a new PC 10 months ago I've suffered with spikes in RAM usuage followed by harddrive corruption. I replaced harddrives multiple times, played with clip storage allocation, and it would work for a while but problem always returned. I recently used the windows "resource monitor" and discovered that even when things were appearing to work fine, the "disk queue length" was very high and the "response times" for the files being written by the camera software were very high. Overall PC performance was also a little sub-par. I noticed this after adding a 14th camera. Hmm..

long story short, today i made the mind-blowing discovery that if i plugged the harddrives (the SSD for the OS, and the 2TB drive for camera storage) into the motherboard ports labelled Sata1 and Sata2 (instead of Sata3 and Sata4) the performance went through the roof! After suffering for almost a year I think I finally solved the problem! yeah!

So why were the drives plugged into 3 and 4 in the first? I dunno. I prolly put them there and it seemed to work so i ASSumed like a dumb@ss that it made no difference. But apparently, according to some hints i saw on the internet, the first two sata ports are connected directly to the processor, but the other ones go through some extra (and occasionally low performance) chips.
TimG

Re: sporadic high RAM usuage and harddrive corruption FINALLY(?) solved!

Post by TimG »

Nice one !

Experimentation, and reading the manual can solve almost anything :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.