Overlays working in recordings even with Direct To Disk Option selected

walkman9999

Overlays working in recordings even with Direct To Disk Option selected

Post by walkman9999 »

Hello,

I have "Direct to Disk" selected (under Recording Tab), and "Only Decode when required" (under Video Tab) and my recordings still include the .jpg overlays that I have added under the "Video> Enable Overlay". The .jpgs show up in FTP uploaded files, recorded clips and on the live view. From my understanding, there must be re-encoding occuring to see the overlays in the .bvr recordings. Is there a way to tell if this is happening? And, assuming it is, is there a way to stop it for cameras that don't need the overlays?

I've attached screenshots below.

BI Versions 5.3.2.2

Thanks for any insight.

Direct-To-Disk Option:
d-2-d.jpg
d-2-d.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
Limit Decoding Option:
limit-decoding.jpg
limit-decoding.jpg (87.64 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
Screenshot of clip playing with overlays:
recording-with-overlays.jpg
recording-with-overlays.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 3592 times
MikeBwca

Re: Overlays working in recordings even with Direct To Disk Option selected

Post by MikeBwca »

Version 5.2.8 introduced metadata for overlays. The BVR's now contain the video and overlays. Re-encoding is NOT happening with D2D.
5.2.8 - May 20, 2020
Direct-to-disc BVR recording will now include metadata for video overlays (bitmaps and
text), motion detection rectangles, as well as camera state flags (such as DIO input bits,
motion sensing and triggered state).

When a BVR file containing these new metadata is opened in the viewer, you may right-click
and select from menu options to toggle their display.
To turn overlays off (They will always be available to display), toggle overlays in the main viewer, or, during playback.

Currently, up to version 5.3.2.3, there is one caveat...
If the overlay is turned on AFTER the BVR is opened for writing, the overlay cannot be toggled on during playback. The overlay must be enabled before the BVR is opened, or, overlay enabled and the BVR cut.

I believe this will be resolved in the next version to cut the BVR when overlays are enabled.

Note: 5.3.0 introduced Substreams to the BVR's. So now the BVR's contain both streams and overlays!

Can I ask....
What are those overlays? And, how do you update them? They look interesting.
walkman9999

Post by walkman9999 »

Thanks for the reply and info, I didn't know the trick about the open .bvr and overlays, that explains some behaviour I was seeing. Mostly a curiosity as I figure out how the software works, and I appreciate your reply.

The overlays on that camera come from a weather station I have on my roof and software that graphs the recent conditions. THe full data is here: http://walknet.net/weather.shtml

Take care!
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Starting with version 5.2.3.5 (or thereabouts), a bvr recording is cut when toggling overlays on or off.