Trouble with zone crossing and motion detection

iankaufmann

Re: Trouble with zone crossing and motion detection

Post by iankaufmann »

aerostar wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:37 am Ideally we also need profiles for WINDY CONDITIONS! Then we could connect our weather stations to BI and ease up on the detection rules when necessary.

I have a setup now that works very well on non-windy days, but when the wind kicks up, all hell breaks loose. Shadows be damned!
I totally agree, it's just hard to know what to do to combat it other than turn down the sensitivity so much that it won't actually recognize real people/vehicles.

I would like to go down the rabbit-hole of doing some local AI processing.

This project looks pretty interesting:
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/tool-tuto ... ris.37330/

SentryAI would be perfect if it actually did vehicle detection. It works great for my doorbell camera to get rid of false alarms... but for a driveway, it doesn't do well. The angle is too far away so it misses obvious humans, and it ignores cars pulling up.
iankaufmann

Post by iankaufmann »

IAmATeaf wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:03 pm I did have AITools configured but have since for the time being as it was having problems accurately detecting people in the evening when my cam go into black and white mode with IR.

I’ve tried loads of things to minimise false alerts but now just put up with them. Shadows and headlights in my front driveway cause the most false alerts.
Bummer. Maybe we are just not far enough into the future yet for this stuff to work.

At this point I would be willing to invest in additional hardware just to solve this problem.

Tensorflow is another interesting option:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/i ... ed/80412/8
iankaufmann

Post by iankaufmann »

I ended up giving AITools a go and I'm actually quite happy with the results. We keep the porch lights on, which means the doorbell camera never goes into night/IR mode. The driveway cam also never shifts to IR mode due to the street lights.

I set up DeepQuestAI as a Docker container on my UnRAID server, so my BI machine doesn't take the CPU hit.

So far it accurately picks up cars and people perfectly! No more alerts on shadows and the neighbors car headlights crossing the yard!
Saarlaender

Post by Saarlaender »

Got similar problems and i like to test some AI system.

Which if the mentioned ones can be suggested? It has to run offline and it should have an easy setup and BlueIris integration :-)
iankaufmann

Post by iankaufmann »

Saarlaender wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:56 pm Got similar problems and i like to test some AI system.

Which if the mentioned ones can be suggested? It has to run offline and it should have an easy setup and BlueIris integration :-)
I couldn't recommend AI Tools more... it solved every problem I had. If you can run the DeepQuestAI docker on some good hardware (I have mine running on my UnRAID server which is an i7 with 64gb of RAM) you'll see basically no performance impact from sending images to it every few seconds.

I say that because one of the issues I was solving was balancing being able to detect human movement with the non-stop shadows from trees during the day. I was either setting things too tight to not be able to detect my wife coming home from a walk... or setting them too loose to where every slight wind gust made a notification fire off.

Now, I can "relax" all of my motion detection settings... making it so that any little movement will trigger and send to AI Tools. AI Tools processes the image and it has been literally 100% reliable in catching every person, car, or animal that crosses into my driveway, while ignoring the dancing shadows all day long.

What IAmATeaf is saying is also something I noticed. The last couple of updates... I got a couple random crashes. But since the latest update, I haven't had any issues... fingers crossed.

Just give it a try, you won't be disappointed.