[BUG?] Web Server is grabbing the wrong LAN address and doesn't change

Lethargus

[BUG?] Web Server is grabbing the wrong LAN address and doesn't change

Post by Lethargus »

I'm trialing Blue Iris as a replacement software for monitoring remote sites, which means I'm running the latest in demo mode at the moment. Given the remoteness of the site and internal networking config issues it takes a couple seconds (15-30) after the Windows machine boots for it to grab a DHCP address. I have Blue Iris starting as a service. It seems to start up before the DHCP is successful so it grabs Windows' internal fake no good address. Once DHCP is successful, the web server still insists the bad address is the LAN address, which isn't even attached to anything at that point. The only way I can get Blue Iris to update to the correct address is to RDP in to the machine and mess around with menus until it magically changes on its own. I've confirmed if I just leave it running for 30+ minutes it never updates to the correct address, but if I RDP in and mess around with menus for a while it will update after 15-30 seconds. Due to Active Directory requirements I can't set the machine to static IP, even if I set it to the IP it should get from the controller.

This software seems to do almost everything I want perfectly, with this one exception. Any ideas on how I can get this to either wait until DHCP success or look again every so often like it seems capable of doing for the external IP? I've tried delayed start on the service and that changed nothing.
HeneryH

Re: [BUG?] Web Server is grabbing the wrong LAN address and doesn't change

Post by HeneryH »

Not sure this is really a BI issue.

Any app will fire up and bind to an address/NIC and listening port when it starts up. If there are more than one networks on the computer you use the selector criteria in the main BI settings to choose which one it should bind to.

Are you saying that existing NIC gets a new address some period of time after boot OR is there a new NIC that is created while the prior one stays.

What are the BI settings showing before and after the event?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

You might be able to set Blue Iris to 'Automatic (Delayed Start)' as that should wait until after all other automatic services are started successfully (a minute or two)? That said, I'm with IAmATeaf and not sure why it takes so long to get the reservation. I can understand if there is some janky networking, DHCP helpers, etc but a bootp request/response should still be fairly quick.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Lethargus

Post by Lethargus »

Thanks for the thoughts. The only reason I suggest it's a BI bug is because every other piece of software that does IP detection updates correctly when the address changes. Only BI doesn't. Perhaps that's by design for BI, but it does have an option to recheck for the external IP, just not the internal IP. Honestly, being able to manually set the LAN address in BI would solve the problem too.

The delay is a combination of distance, active directory authentication, and dynamically updating associated DNS records. Delayed start doesn't fix it and I haven't been able to find a group policy that does what I need. systemd it'd be the equivalent target of network-online but I haven't found anything in Windows similar. Closest was for the network stack to have finished loading, but that's just up to the point the DHCP request has been issued, so it would still finish loading under the fake address Microsoft assigns and not actually solve anything (I think this is actually what delayed start does.)

I'm considering setting the BI service to manual and creating a script service that waits for successful gateway ping before manually starting the BI service, but I was hoping for a more elegant solution.