Sub stream and direct to disk question

Bthnc

Sub stream and direct to disk question

Post by Bthnc »

Hello all!

I was excited to try the substream features as I’ve been adding cameras of different types and CPU has been going up. I think I may have this figured out, but wanted to check. I use direct to disk and typically save as an mp4 to make it easier to open clips outside of blue iris. After turning on the sub stream, I found the clips weren’t watchable in ether blue iris or VLC — they seemed to jump between the two resolutions, at least while looking at the codec information in VLC. After switching to bvr format, the problem seems fixed. I’m guessing this may be because there are more than one video stream in the file, and perhaps mp4s do not like that — not sure.

Anyway, I wanted to check on this if this indeed the issue, and if there is any way to keep mp4 or if bvr is required when using substreams. (And finally — minor feature suggestion, if this is actually the case, would be to alert the user that bvr is required for sub stream.)

Thanks!
Brian
kenl

Re: Sub stream and direct to disk question

Post by kenl »

I had reported this issue and received a reply this morning that it should be fixed in the next release. BI was mixing the main and sub streams when recording as MP4, which corrupted the recording.

Update, 5.3.1.2 was just released and it's been fixed.
Bthnc

Re: Sub stream and direct to disk question

Post by Bthnc »

kenl wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:06 pm I had reported this issue and received a reply this morning that it should be fixed in the next release. BI was mixing the main and sub streams when recording as MP4, which corrupted the recording.
Thank you! Great to hear.