New vs Storage - Full time recording

scoob8000

New vs Storage - Full time recording

Post by scoob8000 »

I just swapped out to a much larger hard drive and am doing full time recording now.

I currently have 3 days worth of video going into NEW, then the rest into STORAGE once they age out. It's the same drive, is there any reason not to just let everything record to the same folder? I would think this should save some resources of constantly moving files around.
Matts1984

Re: New vs Storage - Full time recording

Post by Matts1984 »

Nope, I originally did the same thing but there is zero benefit if it's all staying in the same drive. All it's doing is moving files from one folder to another which is extra HD cycles. Keep them all in new and expand that time range to you're upper limit capacity. Make sure to drop the allocation to the other Storage sections as low as possible (I think otherwise your stats can be skewed).
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
TimG

Re: New vs Storage - Full time recording

Post by TimG »

Agreed. All I can add to that is to check in "Clip Storage" that all is well after you have finished. Look out for allocation errors or minus values.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.