Black Screen in RDP playback

sacstar

Black Screen in RDP playback

Post by sacstar »

Hi,

Has anyone else had issues when playing clips and alerts over RDP on Win10 systems? Playback works correctly when connected directly to a monitor but only displays a black screen when viewing over RDP. I have updated BI to the latest version and all the drivers on the system are current.

I have ran out of ideas on how to fix this.

Mac
MikeBwca

Re: Black Screen in RDP playback

Post by MikeBwca »

I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere that unless you have a monitor connected, you may need a hdmi 'headless ghost display'. Fools the desktop thinking you have a monitor, for remote viewing.

Am I way off with this?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I'm using a server OS, can't recall if I've ever RDP'd to a headless Win10 machine (assuming OP is using a headless system - it might be connected anyway). I can't think of anything.... I'm assuming everything looks normal in the UI3 viewer and mobile app - if you're using that?

Sounds like another question for Ken unless there is anything over in the 'other' forum. Please report back if you're able to resolve.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Nope, I've heard the same thing. Apparently it varies from PC to PC and not all of them require the HDMI-faker dongle, but some do.

The dongles are about $8 or so on Amazon so it would be a cheap test.

MikeBwca wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:32 am I'm not sure, but I've read somewhere that unless you have a monitor connected, you may need a hdmi 'headless ghost display'. Fools the desktop thinking you have a monitor, for remote viewing.

Am I way off with this?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

If it is headless currently, the cheapest test would be to try a monitor on it first to see if that resolves the issue. If that does fix it, and assuming you don't want to keep a monitor connected, the faker thing sounds like a great solution. I had never heard of these, seem like a cool thing!

*** cheap of course assumes you have a monitor you could test with but at this stage in the game I assume you have at least one in your house
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

The 'headless ghost display' runs about $8 on Amazon, and 3 for $15. Suppose to work with any graphics card. No drivers needed.

Single $8... https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display ... 7341237007
3 pack $15... https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Emulato ... B06XSY9THQ
sacstar

Post by sacstar »

the system has a monitor attached and the playback works locally.