Schedule continuous recording

Rog

Schedule continuous recording

Post by Rog »

Hello all, another newbie here. I'm trying to figure out how to schedule continuous recording. I did a search of the forum but the result keeps saying the the search has been ignored because the words are too common. So if this have been answered already, forgive me. I'm trying to set up blue iris to record continuously from say 10:00 P.M. to 5:00 A.M. the next morning and the rest of the time I want it to trigger on motion detection. I'm using a ptz camera to watch a small parking lot but the motion detection won't pick up anything at a distance or it is unreliable. I don't want it to record continuously 24/7, just at a scheduled time. I've looked through the help files and searched the internet but am still unclear how I can accomplish this. It seems to be such a simple task to do considering how powerful blue iris is. Maybe blue iris can come up with a dummy mode or something.

Any help would be appreciated.
WmG

Re: Schedule continuous recording

Post by WmG »

Did you get to page 116 of the current help file under "Profiles" and then "Schedules" (pg 117)? It seems that's designed to get you where you want to go(?) Or is there some specific function not covered there that you're trying to accomplish?
Rog

Post by Rog »

Hello again, So I still could not get it to work. I read through schedule help several times. I have 2 cameras connected. One is a ptz camera, the other is a floodlight cam. I don't want to record with the floodlight cam but I do want to record with the ptz camera at night. The ptz is camera 1, the floodlight cam is camera 2. The global schedule is set on profile 1 or active. I select camera 1 camera settings, in the schedules tab, I select Override global schedule for this camera. I set up profile 3 to do the recording, I draw the time I want it to record, 10:00 PM to 12:00 AM, then 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM. I then select the days button and set it to Monday through Sunday. I go to the recording tab and select profile 3, I select video and in the dropdown box and I select continuous. I do not select sync with profile 1. In the general tab I select profile 3 to be one of the active profiles. I click the OK button and then the green 1 shows up on upper left corner of the camera view frame. So I right click on camera 1 and select camera settings again. All of the profile 3 I selected have reverted back to profile 1 active. So I do it again and set the schedule to profile 3 and the recording to profile 3 then click OK. Then a red 0 displays in the upper left corner of the camera view frame. I want to double check the settings again for camera 1 and they have all reverted back to profile 1 active. I set all of the settings again and click OK and the red 0 is still on the view frame. I let it go to see what happens, I wake up the next morning and there is no recording.

I'm not sure what steps I'm missing.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Screen captures of your settings would help a lot...
- BI Settings Schedule tab.
- BI Settings Profiles tab.

I would recommend using the 'Relative to sunrise/sunset' option. This will adjust the Schedule start/end times taking into account the shortening/lengthening of the days. It works very well. Otherwise, you'll need to adjust the start/end times every few weeks.

In order to use the 'Relative to sunrise/sunset' option, you must enter the Latitude & Longitude of your location in the BI Settings Schedule tab. Your Lat/Long cane be easily found via Google Maps. Zoom into your location. You'll find the lat/long in the address bar.
Rog

Post by Rog »

Hello again, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and reinstalled Blue iris and reset the settings to start from scratch. I first went to the blue iris settings and then clicked the schedule tab and made sure the main schedule wasn't enabled. I have attached screen shots of everything I did.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.25 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
I then went to the profiles tab and changed profile 3 to record at night.
Capture0.PNG
Capture0.PNG (37.96 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
I then went to the PTZ camera settings, which is still called My camera 1 and clicked on the general tab and set profile 3 to be active for this camera.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (45.34 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
Rog

Post by Rog »

I then went to the schedule tab and clicked override global schedule for this camera, I then selected profile 3 in the dropdown box and drew out the schedule to be active from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (33.42 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
After that I went to the record tab and selected profile 3 (record at night) and then set it to record continuous.
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (35.67 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
I then clicked OK and then the profile number in the upper left corner turned to the green 1
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (106.65 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
Rog

Post by Rog »

I then waited until 9:00 at night to see what would happen, the profile did seem to trigger at 9:00 PM but the profile number in the upper left corner of the view window turned to 0. But it did not record as hoped.
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (110.19 KiB) Viewed 10747 times
So I am unsure how to set it to record how I want it to. I have read the help file and watched youtube videos but still don't understand what I am doing wrong.I need a step by step example on how to do this.

Thanks for any assistance.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

By deselecting profile 3 graying it out, actually disables profile 3.
2020-06-15 at 13-29-42.png
2020-06-15 at 13-29-42.png (4.2 KiB) Viewed 10736 times

Leave profiles 1-7 selected. You don't need to alter this. (0 is de selected by defaul).
They should look like this...
2020-06-15 at 13-39-06.png
2020-06-15 at 13-39-06.png (3.47 KiB) Viewed 10736 times

The issue of not recording is that you have the schedule to switch to profile 3 only on Thursday! (Only Thursday is highlighted)
Click 'Days' until all days are highlighted, then set the schedule for profile 3. You can also hold the 'CTL' key, then left-click on the names of the days you want to set. Maybe you only want this camera to switch to profile 3 on the days you work, or, vice vera.
2020-06-15 at 13-44-16.png
2020-06-15 at 13-44-16.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 10736 times

The reason why the camera switched to profile 0 (Inactive profile), is because you DEACTIVATED profile 3 on the General tab! So, it defaulted to profile 0 - which is the inactive profile. It would be nice if BI would warn you when doing this, but, I suppose there may be an instance where this is wanted...maybe... or maybe this is a bug (undocumented feature).

Sunset and Sunrise will change slightly each day. You may eventually need to go into the cameras schedule, and adjust the times every couple weeks. I would recommend clicking the ''Relative to sunrise/sunset' button, then selecting the relative time. This will automatically adjust the times each day. But, you must set your Lonitude/Latitude on the BI Settings Schedule page.

Another note: Some cameras could use an adjustment of their Brightness & Contrast during nighttime, I do this to change all my cameras Contrast & Brightness settings to get better video at night, by using the 'Event Schedule' o each camera.
Rog

Post by Rog »

MikeBwca wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:14 pm By deselecting profile 3 graying it out, actually disables profile 3.
2020-06-15 at 13-29-42.png

Leave profiles 1-7 selected. You don't need to alter this. (0 is de selected by defaul).
They should look like this...
2020-06-15 at 13-39-06.png

The issue of not recording is that you have the schedule to switch to profile 3 only on Thursday! (Only Thursday is highlighted)
Click 'Days' until all days are highlighted, then set the schedule for profile 3. You can also hold the 'CTL' key, then left-click on the names of the days you want to set. Maybe you only want this camera to switch to profile 3 on the days you work, or, vice vera.
2020-06-15 at 13-44-16.png

The reason why the camera switched to profile 0 (Inactive profile), is because you DEACTIVATED profile 3 on the General tab! So, it defaulted to profile 0 - which is the inactive profile. It would be nice if BI would warn you when doing this, but, I suppose there may be an instance where this is wanted...maybe... or maybe this is a bug (undocumented feature).

Sunset and Sunrise will change slightly each day. You may eventually need to go into the cameras schedule, and adjust the times every couple weeks. I would recommend clicking the ''Relative to sunrise/sunset' button, then selecting the relative time. This will automatically adjust the times each day. But, you must set your Lonitude/Latitude on the BI Settings Schedule page.

Another note: Some cameras could use an adjustment of their Brightness & Contrast during nighttime, I do this to change all my cameras Contrast & Brightness settings to get better video at night, by using the 'Event Schedule' o each camera.
Ok, I did everything you suggested except for the Sunset Sunrise, still trying to figure this out. So when 9:00 PM came around the profile indicator in the view frame went to 0 again.
CaptureX.png
CaptureX.png (2.55 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
So I figured the schedule did fire but then in the help file it said something to the effect you had to run the profile in the main screen to set the profile to record at night.
CaptureY.png
CaptureY.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
I then clicked on the pause icon and it changed back to profile 1 (Active)
CaptureZ.png
CaptureZ.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 10716 times
At that moment, the profile indicator did change to 3 and it started recording.The only problem is, I have no way to check and see if the Record at night profile will fire everyday of the week because when I go back to check in the camera settings and schedule, it reverts back to profile 1 and then when I select the Record at night profile, the schedule drawing is still there but the days only show the current day. It says in the help file that schedule page isn't a setting but just a way to make the profile so I still don't know how to confirm that it is set up the way I want. I will leave it alone and wait to see if it works tonight.

Thanks again for all of the help.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

When you change a profile, by default it will stay active for the time specified in the profiles Tab - 480 minutes by default, or 4 hours. Then it switched back to profile 1.

After switching to another profile, long click the 'pause' icon. It will change to a red square indicating it's on until you change it.