Evaluation water mark now showing despite registered account

aumoenoav

Re: Evaluation water mark now showing despite registered account

Post by aumoenoav »

Yes it was solved by renewing the support subscription, but hopefully next version will warn the user before going into demo mode
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

Mine was solved by rolling back to 5.2.7.9

Personally I've not made any use of the support in the prior year so really would only by paying for the updates...until a feature is added that i really need, ill hold back at this revision.
rockit

Post by rockit »

Hi

This also caused me some head scratching last week. But I downgraded and thought it was some kind of bug due to it not being a stable release.
I actually has to say that this doesn't sit very well with me. I've pursed the software and I think that updates should be included in that price.
In my opinion this is the wrong way to go, but if BI sticks with this idea I would hope that there will be changes in the price plan.
I run a small server at my home with 5 cameras and don't have the same needs as the big users regarding support. But I want my software to be up to date and run safe and smooth.
I have no problem accepting that big changes like v4 to v5 not being included, but small updates and bug fixes should. At least make it possible to do random updates for a small fee.
This also puts more stress on me as a user to keep up with what has changed since the version I run. If there is some major security or critical bug updated, I would like to know.
Thanks.
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

rockit wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:57 am I actually has to say that this doesn't sit very well with me. I've pursed the software and I think that updates should be included in that price.
In my opinion this is the wrong way to go, but if BI sticks with this idea I would hope that there will be changes in the price plan.
I run a small server at my home with 5 cameras and don't have the same needs as the big users regarding support. But I want my software to be up to date and run safe and smooth.
I am in much the same boat, home user, never used support as i prefer to learn things myself and my expectations were like yours..to be honest tho from the 1st version of V5 to the current release i've really not noticed any difference with any updates..clearly any new features added, ive not used. Arguably any security improvements i would have benefited from however again being a home user, im not sure why i would be of any interest to a hacker, my CCTV sits on an isolated VM with no access to the rest of my home network so at best the would be hacker would be able to admire how well kept my gardens are! ill stick with the 09 release until they either cop so much flack they allow updates for licenced users again or V6 comes out!

i think BI is a great software package, let down by poor communication and from what others say (ive never used it) slow support...itsa shame really as with not much more effort (for example, a mailing going out to all licence holders prior to this 'change of position' regarding the enforcing of this particular rule) would go a long way. i wonder how many combined hours 'we' the users have spent trying to figure out why our systems have reverted to demo mode...clearly a few on here and many more on IPCamTalk.

i also learned ver 12 is now out...that has the same 'evaluation' issue, so if anyone was hoping that would fix their issue...think again!
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Very interesting and I'm in exactly the same situation, though just by chance my license is still valid for another month so I didn't see this coming yet. It's a tough situation, on one hand I completely get it from the development standpoint. One-time fees (or at best, once every few years) isn't going to pay the bills and this sounds incredibly similar to the current Wink Smart Hub situation. On the other hand, I was under the impression - even if it was wrong - that my license entitled me to a full version as long as it was v5. After the year ended, I would not be able to go to v6 (if and when it comes out) nor would I be eligible for support, which I have used once in regards to the Android App but we didn't get anywhere and it seems to have resolved itself.

I really like the product, I am very happy with BI... but as you said, the lack of communication or an active moderator on the forum makes it hard to know about policy changes (or perhaps just the enforcement of policy).

Looking ahead to my own situation in a month, I'll probably end up renewing at the cheapest level because knowing there are updates for anything that I don't have will eat at me. As a home user that has found this forum and already has a functional instance, I just don't need priority support.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
RoadHazard

Post by RoadHazard »

Same here. My official, paid-for version now has big ugly "Evaluation Version" across all the cameras and I can't get rid of it.

What's annoying is that Blue Iris allowed me to download and install the latest version. If I wasn't entitled to the upgrade, why let me install it so easily? No warning, no encouragement to renew my support license, no nothing. Just click to download the latest version like always and -- boom -- now I'm tagged as an unlicensed user with no way to go back. That's kind of like locking the door behind yourself... or your customers. Shame on Blue Iris.

How do I find out what version I'm permitted to use, and how do I find and download it?
Last edited by RoadHazard on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

I managed to reverted back by clicking on the update button again followed by ticking the 'another previous update' box and i chose 5.2.7.9 which was available at the time.

i'm not exactly sure how we are meant to proceed should we suffer any HW failure or reinstall our OS etc, there only seems to be the latest ver hosted on the blue iris page.

i cant imagine how this has been implemented has done them any favours, i suspect a lot of people chose BI from word of mouth and forum recommendations etc..whilst seemingly within the agreement of purchase, president of continued updates was set in prior versions which people have come to accept...it remains a mystery why this changed.
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

...further to this, i found IP Cam Talk are hosting prior versions of BI - this should help get anyone back to a version in which they are entitled to the 'full' version - https://ipcamtalk.com/tools/blueirisupdates/
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I know there have been multiple threads about the renewal of a license, etc yet this was the only one I could find at the moment. Anyway, for those that have already been through it - Did you see an option to NOT do an "Automatic Renewal" every 12 months? I don't mind paying the $29.95 since my license expires in about 2 hours, but I want to be in control in the future for it. I can appreciate the OPTION for it, for some it may help streamline life, but I'm paying attention and will renew on my own. I don't need $30 taken from my account automatically by surprise. Plus I don't know how easy it is to cancel if I some day opt to no longer want it for any reason.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

Matts1984 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:11 pm I know there have been multiple threads about the renewal of a license, etc yet this was the only one I could find at the moment. Anyway, for those that have already been through it - Did you see an option to NOT do an "Automatic Renewal" every 12 months? I don't mind paying the $29.95 since my license expires in about 2 hours, but I want to be in control in the future for it. I can appreciate the OPTION for it, for some it may help streamline life, but I'm paying attention and will renew on my own. I don't need $30 taken from my account automatically by surprise. Plus I don't know how easy it is to cancel if I some day opt to no longer want it for any reason.
I think other threads have been removed, assumingly as the topic divided opinion ad therefore led to disagreements between users.

i didn't think BI accounting wouldn't be advanced enough to have an 'auto renew' option?..i assumed it was on you year on year to stump up the ransom.