Networking question - help please...

HeneryH

Networking question - help please...

Post by HeneryH »

I have a remote computer system with BI that my clients have access to. My network is on 192.168.1.x but a client just popped on a camera he wants to use that is statically set to 192.168.0.abc.

How can I set my system so that I can connect to that camera given that my network is 1923.168.1.x with 255.255.255.0 ?

This system is remote and I am afraid that I am going to knock it offline and not be able to reconnect.

I have an older Fios actiontek router if that helps figure out a way.

Edit - yep, I knocked the whole thing offline.
HeneryH

Re: Networking question - help please...

Post by HeneryH »

I took a screen shot of the network's DHCP settings and set the nic to static and typed the same IP/Mask/Gw as was in the DHCP settings. Then I went to advanced and added a second IP to the same nic with 192.168.0.10 (10 being made up to match the 102.168.0.123 camera). As soon as I hit 'apply' my TeamView session closed and I lost access.

Tried a remote power cycle but it never came back.

I knew this would happen.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Unfortunately you're likely going to need physical access to the BI system to get it back online and to it's original address.

Going forward to get to the camera... we may need some additional details. You have:

Verizon router front end

BI system (and network) @ 192.168.1.0/24 (/24 is shorthand for 255.255.255.0)

Camera at 192.168.0.10 (presumably it is 192.168.0.10/255.255.255.0)

From the BI system, what is your Default Gateway? I'd assume something like 192.168.1.1.... is that the Verizon router?

What does the camera physically connect to? What is it's default gateway?

Basically there needs to be some sort of router to pass traffic between subnets. There are funky ways around this but trying to have the network as "correct" and efficient as possible. Definitely happy to walk through this, just need more detail.

I am going to take a guess based on something you said but I wouldn't jump to this. You said you added a second IP to the same NIC. That sounds to me like you have two subnets on the same network space, technically doable but there will be noise. If you added a GW to your secondary NIC that is what broke your connection... remove that and you should be back up and running and can proceed with this further.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Looks like all of your assumptions are correct except I'll clarify that last one.

I didn't create a second subnet by choice or desire on the BI machine, I just added a second IP to the Network-1 interface with the 192.168.0.?10? address and hoped the ARP would someone allow it to connect.

When setting that, I used the 255.255.255.0 mask and the fios router as the GW. BOOM! GONE

I really no nothing about the camera other than its IP (192.168.0.123) and Credentials.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

So are you all set now?

Might be a silly question but is there a REASON the camera has that address? I'm not clear on whether there is truly a second subnet there or if the camera really just needs to be fixed. Can anyone access that camera remotely (web browser)?
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Matts1984 has got it.

In my experience, and conformed by other members here, the second '0' subnet network will not have internet.
Windows will automatically bridge the two networks - but only on that computer. So, to have a second nic card, subnet '0', and having cameras on that, you'll have to do some fancy footwork to get the second nic to the internet.
Usually, users do this to prevent cameras from getting to the internet.

Can other members here add to this? Correct my mistakes, if any - I realize, that's hard to fathom... :roll:

On the remote computer...
- What is the purpose of having the second nic?
- What is the IP address of the computer, not the public IP address.
- What is the IP address of the gateway?

The remote user could do a screen capture of the 'ipconfig /all' command and send it to you to post. Or, redirect it to a txt file and post.

Just a thought...
The remote user could also imitate a Temviewer or AnyDesk session and give you control.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

To follow up ARP only works for systems in the same subnet. When the destination is determined to be on a different subnet, the traffic goes to the default gateway (well, assuming there aren't other routes saying to go somewhere else). That gateway then follows the same process (if local -> send ARP, otherwise go to next hop).

You also cannot have two default gateways on a host (there's always exceptions and fuzzy logic in some software but... go with the standard). If there are two "Defaults"... which way should the traffic go?? It's either going to go nowhere or only work sometimes.

So yes, you can have multiple networks on a host and there are a couple different ways you can do it, but you've got to be careful and you either lock yourself out OR you open yourself up to holes.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Matts1984 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm So are you all set now?
No, I need to drive to the site.
Matts1984 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm Might be a silly question but is there a REASON the camera has that address?
Because that is the static address the manufacturer set. Just like Dahua uses 192.168.1.sometihng.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Bump. I have a need to revisit this again.

Background... my remote site was originally configured as a 192.168.1.x network. This all worked well until a client of mine brought his own camera to add to BI and it came from the factory with a 192.168.0.xxx address.

I couldn't connect to that camera because the entire network was set for 192.168.1.x and the netmask was 255.255.255.0.

I tried something and it failed miserably knocking the machine off the network completely.

I drove to the site and un-did my attempt and set my network to 192.168.0.x then set up the new camera. I just left it at that setting and came home.

Now I have another client that brought his own camera but guess what... his defaults to the original 192.168.1.xxx.

I have to figure out how to log into that camera on 192.168.1.123 from my network that is on 192.168.0.x remotely and set it to DHCP then reboot it.

Help please. Ideas?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

As a last resort, I might try to setup a linux desktop vm and set its ip address to a static IP on the same netmask and connect from that VM.