BI5 - Camera Dropping and Delayed viewing

o2manyfish

BI5 - Camera Dropping and Delayed viewing

Post by o2manyfish »

Hi Everyone,

I am a relatively new user and while I have gotten things working there are a lot of fine details to BI5 that I don't grasp. I have 24 cameras. The cameras are connected to 2 NVR that handle all the reccording. I use BI5 to get all 24 cams onto one monitor. BI5 does not do ANY recording or anything. When Triggered a camera goes full screen. But no notices, no alerts - just full screen.

The 24 cams range from 3 to 8MP. I'm running on a Dedicated Win10-64 bit machine.

I got the system tuned to where the CPU usage is usually in the high 80s and at night it drops into the high 60's. BI has been stable - No lockups or crashes in a few weeks.

Here are the 2 issues I have.

1) Now that the system is working it turns out that the BI5 view has a drastic time delay. Sometimes the video viewed via BI5 is over a minute behind real time. Sometimes a whole group of cameras i off. Sometimes just a few are off. Usually its about a 15-30sec time gap between real world and the viewed image. But lately it's getting higher.

2) The other issue I have is that I have (2) Identical 8.3 MP Hunt Cameras that watch the street in front of the property. These cameras record a full resolution image to a LUMA NVR 24/7 - They run H265+.

These 2 front yard cameras have independent CAT6 runs all the way back to a Ubiquiti POE Switch in my main rack - Plugged into that same POE Switch (Directly) is the Blue Iris Computer, and the 2 NVRs.

Both cameras are configured exactly the same at the camera level - and also configured exactly the same within BI5.

Camera 2 is constantly 15 to 1 minute behind camera 1 (if a car drives from Cam 1 across screen to Cam 2 - it doesn't appear on Cam 2 for up to 90secs later). And Cam 2 keeps dropping its connection in BI5 -- Most of the Time it's I/O Error =0 and sometimes its IO Error EEEEEEFFFFFF.

When this drop out happens there is not change in the ping time between the BI5 computer and CAM2 - So the signal is not dropping.

When the drop out happens on CAM2 the CAM2 Image on the LUMA NVR doesn't show an issues, artifacts, gaps, freezes.

A few times if I am connected to CAM2 from a web browser - when CAM 2 drops the image to BI5 the live view image at the Cam 2 Webpage goes black as well -- And yet the NVR is still getting the stream with no issue.

On Cam 2 I have adjusted the Buffer from 2 to 60mb with about 8 steps in between and that doesn't affect the frequency of the Drop outs

I know that's a lot of details - But wanted to share that to show that I didn't just come here for a solution without trying to work it myself.

If you have any recommendations - Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me.

Dave B
o2manyfish --- You help me with my Security Cams and I can help you with your reef tanks. Just ask :)
pcassidy

Re: BI5 - Camera Dropping and Delayed viewing

Post by pcassidy »

I'm having a similar problem. I have 21 cameras on the system. CPU load is low. They all record direct to disk. This has been happening for several months. I get alert messages every hour. Typically involves 10-21 of the cameras. Sometimes 1, sometimes all 21 cameras. I have tried segmenting my network to remove portions and associated cameras to no avail. The issue is at the source, my dedicated server or the router. I have checked the Windows 10 log and no errors relating to these events. Also nothing on my Unifi network controller. Windows is up to date as are the HP software updates including BIOS. I have an another almost identical system running 9 cameras with no issues.
o2manyfish

Post by o2manyfish »

I have been trying to track the problem - I am not recording anything with BI5 - Just using it to view all the cameras.

The issues seems most prevalent on my 8mp cameras. It doesn't matter whether the cameras are configured as h264, h264+, h265 or h265+

I found that if I have the Camera display it's time code directly below the BI5 overlay with Time code - You can watch the time fall out of sync. THe highest I have seen is that the BI5 feed is 10 minutes behind what is happening live. And I can't figure out where the issue is coming from.

I went out and bought a new I9 Intel chip with a RTX2070 card. It runs at a much slower CPU rate but the issue is still occurring but not as drastic.

I have tried changing the BI5 Hardware decoding for the cameras where the issue is most apparent. For my original computer which is using an Intel On board GPU - The Nvidia hardware encoding seems to be the best setting for the cameras staying in real time for longer periods.

-------------------------

Anyone who has any thoughts on this please speak up :)

Dave
o2manyfish --- You help me with my Security Cams and I can help you with your reef tanks. Just ask :)
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

In my case it's about every 3 or 4 hours. The time is random but often is on the hour. It happened 14 times yesterday, 6 time so far today (5:00 pm). I can't identify any repeatable pattern.
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

I've been tracking camera restores and over the past 15 days i have logged 152 events of one or more cameras being restores. A large percentage involve all or nearly all my 21 cameras. Also, 36 of these 152 events happened on the hour. The rest were at random times at all hours of the day. Since a significant number of these events happen precisely on the hour, I'm suspicious the cause is some background routine on the system running Blue Iris or within Blue Iris itself.
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

I've been tracking camera restores and over the past 15 days i have logged 152 events of one or more cameras being restored. A large percentage involve all or nearly all my 21 cameras. Also, 36 of these 152 events happened on the hour. The rest were at random times at all hours of the day. Since a significant number of these events happen precisely on the hour, I'm suspicious the cause is some background routine on the system running Blue Iris or within Blue Iris itself.
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

I've been tracking camera restores and over the past 15 days i have logged 152 events of one or more cameras being restores. A large percentage involve all or nearly all my 21 cameras. Also, 36 of these 152 events happened on the hour. The rest were at random times at all hours of the day. Since a significant number of these events happen precisely on the hour, I'm suspicious the cause is some background routine on the system running Blue Iris or within Blue Iris itself.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I had similar camera dropouts/restores and I think it was fixed by doing two things.

1) I reduced the resolution down to a lower value.

2) I set the cameras up to do direct-to-disk recording.

Again, I can't be 100% certain that these were the causes but it might be worth trying. I think if the network gets saturated then BI thinks the camera(s) have dropped and tries to restore them.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

I'm doing direct to disk recording now. Cameras running at 15 fps. If camera resolution was a factor, I would expect the problem to go away when I removed all but about 6 cameras by shutting off parts of the network. That made no difference.

My CPU load is about 20% unless there is web access to the all cameras matrix then the load goes up to about 80%.

Frustrating.
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

I'm making progress in this issue. I set up another Blue Iris server on the network with a cross section of cameras (5 out of 21). In the past 24 hours it has not had any camera restore events while the problem server has had 5 events. Two of these restores included the cameras also on the new server. This is pretty good evidence the issue in within the server and not the router. The prime suspect is Windows 10. Win 10 on this PC is an upgrade from Win 7. Worst case I will do a clean reinstall of Windows 10.