BI5 - Camera Dropping and Delayed viewing

pomonabill220

Re: BI5 - Camera Dropping and Delayed viewing

Post by pomonabill220 »

HHmmm... interesting about Win 10!
I am still running Win 7 64, and I have had 2 of my 10 cameras drop out, and tried rebooting the cameras (power cycle), and they didn't come back.
I let it go since they were not high priority cameras, and a few hours later they came back on their own!
They went down at about 8:30 a.m. and came back at about 7:30 P.M. that evening. Down for about 11 hours.

Both of these cameras are 2.1 Mpix running at 1 FPS (they are weather cameras looking at the sky).
There is a third camera on the same switch, and it did not go down, so it kind of rules out the switch and the cabling back to my main switch, but stranger things have happened!

I will keep an eye on it to see if this was a fluke, or an indication of something failing.
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

I rebuilt Windows 10 on the server using Windows Media Creator Tool keeping the applications and files. This has dramatically reduced the incidents of camera restores. I've had two incidents in the past 24 hours compared to 21 the prior 24 hours. The open question is whether a complete, new install of Windows 10 totally fix the problem?
pcassidy

Post by pcassidy »

I'm pretty confident I have found the source of my problem. Tee 21 cameras write to an 8TB USB hard drive and I use SyncbackSE to mirror those files to another 8TB USB drive every hour. Disabling the SuncBackSE run schedule stopped the camera restores which were happening almost every hour and random times. I have this same setup on another system with 9 cameras and it works fine. The difference is the problem system is struggling to handle the hard drive load from the 21 cameras. Most of the time it takes more than an hour for SyncBackSE to complete the mirror process. On the 9 camera system, this process only takes about 5 minutes. The read and write speeds to the USB drives are only about one third the speeds on the 9 camera system. They are both HP workstations but the 9 camera system in one generation newer.

So my 21 camera system is now working fine except I don't have a backup for camera video archives. That's a project for another day.