Blue Iris 5 Multi Drive Storage Setup

JVH

Blue Iris 5 Multi Drive Storage Setup

Post by JVH » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi,
I have just recently purchased and setup BI5 as a replacement for an older system where the software is no longer working or updated.
Our system has 40 cameras as a mix of IP and older cameras running on DS-4000 series cards.
We will slowly phase out the old cards as time permits
We have 23TB of storage. 250gb on an SSD for the OS and the rest on several 2-10 TB drives.

I have 100gb allocated on the SSD for the NEW folder
I have the STORED folder on a 2TB drive.
I am not clear as to how to use the other drives to extend my storage time. We like to keep 90 days.
Do we use the AUX positions and daisy change them passing down when they each get full?
AS we are using a large HD chassis we could go to 5 10TB drives for 50TB.

Thanks
quickstop

Re: Blue Iris 5 Multi Drive Storage Setup

Post by quickstop » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:41 pm

I am no expert and since you are not receiving replies, I thought I would offer an opinion. Since BI uses the New and Stored folders, you can configure files to move from New folder to Stored folder on any disk you choose. Then there is software to automatically manage your files so you can copy, move, backup from the Stored folder to any disk(s) available to your server including NAS, DAS, or local disks. That is my plan, and if you come up with a better solution, please let me know.
TimG

Post by TimG » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Daisy chaining just means that you keep moving the same files around from drive to drive which can't be a good idea, and it will cause increased wear to all drives.

Has anybody tried software to convert multiple drives into one large pool ? Or is that just called a NAS :!:
BI5 v54711 x64 | Win10 21H1 | Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, Foscam R2, Ertech 4MP, Neos2, 2 SD cams | BI5:1 i5-3330, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 2 HSPhone, TVMosaic | BI5:2 Ryzen 1800X, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 4, Emby, DVBViewer.
ctfjr

Post by ctfjr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:55 pm

I did this: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-t ... 36783.html
in one of my computers. I should add that I have 2 NAS' running here where everything is backed up to.
TimG

Post by TimG » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am

Thanks for that ctfjr, looks like it is easy to do with Storage Spaces in Win10, but the OP doesn't mention which OS is being used.

Keeping on the Win10 theme, I also found https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... age-spaces

So, my conclusion is that RAID usually requires identical hard drives, but a "Simple" Storage Space POOL can be made of hard drives of differing capacities. It may not give you RAID data protection, but it will give you a very big Storage drive that can be added to. Hmm :geek:
BI5 v54711 x64 | Win10 21H1 | Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, Foscam R2, Ertech 4MP, Neos2, 2 SD cams | BI5:1 i5-3330, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 2 HSPhone, TVMosaic | BI5:2 Ryzen 1800X, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 4, Emby, DVBViewer.
JVH

Post by JVH » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:06 pm

The pool idea has merit and I will look into it.
My old software Hybrid NDVR 5.84 which I think came from Netvision, had a disk manager program where you assigned space on multiple drives and it would use them and overwrite oldest files when they got full. An index in the main software kept track of the files for playback.

Currently I have daisy chained so that NEW is on the SSD drive then it moves to STORED on the stored drive then when full it moves to STORED on AUX1.
I have 2 more drives to chain but was wanting to figure out the best way.

I purchased Priority support last week in order to get phone support.
I have sent 2 emails, but have gotten no response. Not sure who to contact. Wondering if they are closed due to Corona. But you would think they would at least acknowledge the emails.

Thanks
jefft

Post by jefft » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:31 pm

Interesting; please do post back if you get anything from BI support (not that it's very likely in my experience of them!).

I like to be able to assign a camera to a disk/folder, to spread the work across spindles based on how the cameras are used. I used to use ACTi's NVR and could do that easily. I thought that BI was dumb and put everything into the one folder, but having looked more closely at the config, I think that we can use multiple drives in a smarter way (caveat: my system is awaiting its second drive later in the week; I'll test this once it arrives!):

- Format both drives as standard JBODs, each with its own drive letter
- Create some folders on each drive - for me, this would be 'CamGroup1' and 'CamGroup2' for example; could even be a folder per camera (which is what ACTi NVR does)
- Add those folders into BI's folder list in the system config / 'Clips and Archiving' tab
- Edit individual camera configs in the 'Record' tab to record clips to the appropriate folder

That should, if BI does what seems logical, cause cameras to write to a particular folder - you could have one per camera, or group them.

I'll report back when I've tried it...
UK
BI /AMD Ryzen / 8 IP cams 2MP-10MP.
TimG

Post by TimG » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pm

Interesting; please do post back if you get anything from BI support (not that it's very likely in my experience of them!).
That's odd, I usually get a reply within 24 hours.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:12 pm

TimG wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 am ...
Keeping on the Win10 theme, I also found https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... age-spaces
Storage Spaces! I had no idea! Thanks. That answers my issue about raid. I can't use a RAID card in my older desktop - no slot for it.

I'll test it out first with my 2tb WD Purple, and my 2tb Seagate Skyhawk. Then get 1 or 2 more 2tb SSD's.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 am

I just discovered in 'Disk Management', the options 'New Spanned Volume' and 'New Striped Volume'.

Defined 1 striped 4tb volume with 2 2tb hhd's Copied several gig of data to it. Works awesome.