Weird LAN IP issue

Thixotropic

Weird LAN IP issue

Post by Thixotropic »

As near as I can tell, this began when I started running BI as a service (which appears to be working correctly, I think)

In the Web Server tab, the "Local, internal (LAN) access" setting has always been 198.162.1.2.

After running BI as a service, after rebooting the PC it ends up on some weird IP like 169.255.x.x or something like that. This (obviously) crashes the connection to the webserver that's always been on 198.162.1.2:99.

Stepping through the Remote access wizard seems to correct it, at least temporarily, but I don't understand why it's changing in the first place. After rebooting it again goes back to some oddball IP.

Also, clicking the "Listen/bind to one selected LAN IP only" checkbox doesn't seem to make it 'stick' to that IP. I'll need to test a little more, but I believe I had that checked initially and it still changed.

Any idea as to what's going on here?
webserversettings.png
webserversettings.png (75.71 KiB) Viewed 9281 times
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Re: Weird LAN IP issue

Post by TimG »

Hmm, does the BI pc have a static IP address ? Does the available NIC (on right of ip) also change to the strange address ?
I tried running BI as a service, but it kept crashing. Haven't tried it in months 🤔
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

> Hmm, does the BI pc have a static IP address ? Does the available NIC (on right of ip) also change to the strange address ?

Yes, and yes. And after it changes, I can't edit it in the "Local, internal (LAN) access" box.

It's weird, I have no idea where it's getting this oddball IP from, or why.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

Is the static IP for the BI pc set up in the NIC, or in the modem/router ?

and

Could this be due to an interaction with your Ngrok set up :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

1) The static IP is set in the router.

2) Yes, it's certainly possible it has something to do with ngrok, but I'd be a little surprised if it did. I got ngrok working before setting BI to run as a service and everything seemed to be stable.

More importantly, nrgrok isn't supposed to do anything but look for incoming requests on the IP specified in the run string- the 192.168.1.2 IP.

I'm also a little concerned that the "Listen/bind to one selected LAN IP only" checkbox doesn't seem to make it stay on that IP.

Finally, I looked in the manual and I didn't see any serious advantage for running BI as a service. It mentions that it'll automatically restart in the event of a PC, OS, or software crash or restart, but you could do that by running it as a scheduled start-up task.

So besides the auto-restart, what's the advantage?

TimG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:24 pm Is the static IP for the BI pc set up in the NIC, or in the modem/router ?
and
Could this be due to an interaction with your Ngrok set up :shock:
TimG

Post by TimG »

Can you try setting the same proper IP address in the BI pc NIC ? It won't do any harm, and it should prevent it being changed.
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:17 pm Can you try setting the same proper IP address in the BI pc NIC ? It won't do any harm, and it should prevent it being changed.
I'll admit that I have no idea how to do that, lol.

Is that something I'd configure from within Windows or the router or a utility for the NIC? Or in the PC BIOS setup?

I drilled down into the network settings and got to here:
nic-settings.png
nic-settings.png (47.05 KiB) Viewed 9255 times
Select the Network Address and fill in a value of 192.168.1.2 ? Would I need to reboot the PC after this?
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

Network & Internet Settings - Change Adaptor Options ( or Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections )
Right click on Ethernet, click Properties
Click IPV4 to highlight it, click properties and then change as required
I think that is all that i did.
Attachments
IPV4.jpg
IPV4.jpg (55.54 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Thanks, loopyloop. I can't quite see all the fields in the image you posted...here's what mine looks like right now.
nic-settings2.png
nic-settings2.png (102.83 KiB) Viewed 9251 times
If the BI PC is supposed to be on 192.168.1.2, which field(s) do I enter that in, and what if anything gets put in the other fields? Feel free to mark up my image to show what goes where if you like.

LOOPYLOOP wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:19 pm Network & Internet Settings - Change Adaptor Options ( or Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections )
Right click on Ethernet, click Properties
Click IPV4 to highlight it, click properties and then change as required
I think that is all that i did.
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

assuming i can post links here this should help
https://portforward.com/networking/stat ... ows-10.htm