Help for installing NGROK

luckyjsw

Help for installing NGROK

Post by luckyjsw »

Please, if someone can decipher this line in the NGROk instructions from BI help manual, I might just get it installed :) :

"Add a single line to this file that runs the NGROK exe. You will need to use the full path.
Follow this with http and then the Blue Iris port number, which has a default value 81."

I made a folder for my desktop, named it server.bat (and changed the extension to .bat). The instructions then say the above, "add a single line...." I just don't understand where I am supposed to put this path information. Can't add it to the file name (no odd characters like /\ or :. Computer won't allow me to type out the NGROK.exe path and save it to my .bat folder. (says "this app can't run on your PC".)

Can anyone tell me what these instructions literally mean? I am new to all this, but I can follow instructions! :D
Thanks!
HeneryH

Re: Help for installing NGROK

Post by HeneryH »

can you open the file in notepad?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

oh, you need to create a file, not a folder.

Just open Notepad, add the one line and save the file as something.bat
luckyjsw

Post by luckyjsw »

Well, I now have a file (1 page from notepad) which I saved to my desktop as NGROK.bat.
The line that I put on it was something like this:
C\Users\lucky\ngrok.exe http port 81
I cannot open this file. When I click on it, a black screen like CMD appears for a split second, like it was trying to come in, then disappears. :(
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

When you click on .bat files, they execute. That is what .bat files do, execute a list of commands.

If you want to view it, open in Notepad.
luckyjsw

Post by luckyjsw »

Hi Henery,
Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this.
My NGROK.bat file is just not working the way you are describing. The BI manual says "When you then double click this file, it will run NGROK in a command window". And they post a picture of a nice long command file, complete with the forwarding IP address you use for remote app devices.

My file does not do this, it does nothing if I double click it, if I drag & drop the file onto command screen, all I get is this:

C:\Users\lucky>C:\Users\lucky\Desktop\NGROK.bat

I would put in a ticket but I already have 2 pending with major other issues.

Any other ideas?
Attachments
ngrok.jpg
ngrok.jpg (173.9 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
ngrok.jpg
ngrok.jpg (173.9 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I'm not an NGROK user but, sorry, it is working exactly how I am describing it.

It is executing the command (in a cmd window) as it is literally written in the .bat file and if/when the command completes the cmd window goes away.

If you expect the command to continue running and never quit (thus keeping the cmd window open) then the real question is why the command is terminating and this making the window go away.

If the command is terminating earlier than you expect, you might want to open a command window manually from the start menu and paste your .bat command into the command window. That way if it spits any errors out you have time to read them before the window goes away.
luckyjsw

Post by luckyjsw »

Thanks again Henery,
I am going to repeat the entire process again, from download to install. I will use your last suggestion if I am not successful.
Thanks again for taking the time to help out.

luckyjsw
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Take a minute and run that command in a command window.
Rickity

Post by Rickity »

If you edit your bat file thats meant to run the prg edit it with notepad and at the very end type
pause
then save it and run it then it will pause the cmd windows so you can see what its has or has not succesfully done press any key to close it
only for testing though so you can see whats going on....