nothing in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\log directory - am i missing a config?

washingon

nothing in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\log directory - am i missing a config?

Post by washingon »

I've been running blue iris 5 for a long time and just recently wanted to see logins.
There are no log files in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Logs. No files at all in that directory.
Am I missing a setup/config to log all the logins and attempts and other events or looking in the wrong place?
TimG

Re: nothing in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\log directory - am i missing a config?

Post by TimG »

I have nothing in that folder either.

What I can tell you is that in the Blue Iris Status (Click the wiggly graph line at the top of the BI page) menu, there is a Log tab on the left. There is a tick box at the bottom that I usually leave off, but you can tick to get those logs saved. On my pc it then saves the log to C:\BlueIris\log but you can change that to wherever you like.

FWIW I leave it off normally as I believe it is uncontrolled, i.e. it will keep getting bigger. Fault finding and data collection only.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
mikeynags

Re: nothing in C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\log directory - am i missing a config?

Post by mikeynags »

TimG wrote:I have nothing in that folder either.

What I can tell you is that in the Blue Iris Status (Click the wiggly graph line at the top of the BI page) menu, there is a Log tab on the left. There is a tick box at the bottom that I usually leave off, but you can tick to get those logs saved. On my pc it then saves the log to C:\BlueIris\log but you can change that to wherever you like.

FWIW I leave it off normally as I believe it is uncontrolled, i.e. it will keep getting bigger. Fault finding and data collection only.
It does get bigger but it’s only during the current month. A new log file gets generated every month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimG

Post by TimG »

Nice one mikeynags, that's one for the book. Thanks for the update :D
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
washingon

Post by washingon »

Thanks. Found the spot to enable logs with the checkbox and can see them now. very helpful.
I was also looking in wrong spot. By default, the logs go c:\blueiris\log\%Y%m.txt

And, after posting yesterday, I opened the help manual and found the instructions in "Status messages, logs and Alerts". I had also missed checking "Notify me when a reply is posted" and so I didn't even get the benefit of your help until this morning when I went back to forum.
I'm self classifying my issue under "inability to read the manual" and "can't follow directions" and glad the forum is here.

thanks for getting me back on track.