Motion based search capability?

General discussion about Blue Iris
searchingforanswers

Motion based search capability?

Post by searchingforanswers »

One of my favorite features from Synology is "Smart Search" - the ability to specify part of the camera view, and search for any motion/changes to that area in a recording.

Does BlueIris have a way to do this?
bob2000

Re: Motion based search capability?

Post by bob2000 »

Isn't this the same as BI zones?
searchingforanswers

I'm looking for a way to search video that has already been recorded. Like... a smarter playback tool.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Yes, zones and hotspots will do that.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi oldguy,
Please explain more, the question from the op sounded quite straightforward. What am I missing ?
Forum Moderator.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

If your want to search through existing BI recordings, yes. It's called 'Test run video thru motion detector'. Not easy to use, but it does work. Just remember to save your camera settings first, so you can restore if you don;t like the new settings.
searchingforanswers

Thank you for that idea. Yeah, I wanted to look through existing recordings.

For example, I found a change on my property. Luckily I was recording both on Synology and BlueIris as part of a test. I was able to use Synology to find all clips where the area near the change had activity - sparing me from having to view days of footage manually.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

ic.

I've requested this in the past to have this 'Smart search' feature... To be able to run a recording as input like a camera feed. And have an option to run as fast as possible, or, run in real time like a live feed & have normal speed controls.

I've used this in other camera software.

Maybe someday.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi oldguy,
Please explain more, the question from the op sounded quite straightforward. What am I missing ?
What I was actually missing was the OP's second post which clarified the issue. It wasn't there when I originally responded, and now it is there before my response, which does indeed make my reply look odd. I've seen similar issues quite a few times on this forum :!:

There are quite a few weird things happening on this forum when new members first post.
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I've never had a chance to play with Synology. How does it compare (in general) with BI? I'm tempted to buy a copy just to get familiar with it but I just don't have the time to mess with it right now.

On this end, BI is still exhibiting the "dropped signal" errors ever since I upgraded and I'm just tired of screwing with it. I wish I could roll back to the previous version. :(

I emailed support and sent them my config several days ago, but haven't heard a word from them since. :(
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS