2 NIC's for BI Server

General discussion about Blue Iris
MikeBwca

2 NIC's for BI Server

Post by MikeBwca »

TimG wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:30 am ...
I now have my cameras on a separate network (the two NIC method for the BI5 server), as i was concerned a growing number of cameras would impact on using my media servers, and I also wanted to block the cameras from the internet.
I experimented with this a while ago. Worked very well. It isolated the cameras from the internet, and, all cameras from both NIC's were available to BI sever and UI3 either locally or remotely - since UI3 & the BI android app are processed by the BI webserver.

My main reason for doing this was, like you mentioned, the growing # of cameras would impact my network. Which, moving them to there own subnet worked excellently.

Is there a way to have the 2nd NIC2 to also have access to the network? Let me explain...

I can not access the cameras thru my android phone using another camera app (IP Cam Viewer Pro). This is because my phone is logged into my main network (NIC1) via it's router. This makes sense since NIC2 is on a different subnet and has no access to the internet.

I can access the cameras via my phone with IP Cam Pro if I log into NIC2's router (a hassle) when I'm home. But, not when I'm away from home - for the same reason mentioned above.
Before you comment, I do use another camera app on my phone just in case BI is unavailable. And also to quickly view the cameras outside of BI - It connects to the cameras very quickly, a bit faster than starting the connection via BI's android app thru BI's webserver. Plus, I had already bought the app before I started using BI. I'd like to note that I was harshly criticized by (the name that shall not be mentioned, TNTSNBM) on (the site that shall not me mentioned, TSTSNBM), for using an app other than BI! lol. It takes a village...
I do want to have access to the cameras (on NIC2) from outside my network - via the internet. So, isolating them from the internet on the other subnet is not my goal. I tried bridging the two subnets, but that didn't work. I tried various port forwarding...
I couldn't figure it out, and, I'm back to one network.

Is there a way to have the 2nd NIC2 to also have access to the network?

The only solution I can think of is to get another IP address from Xfinity - which wouldn't double my speed, but only give me another public IP address. And, get the newer SB8200 cable modem. Then activate the 2nd port on the SB8200 with the 2nd IP address, and connect that to NIC2. I'm planning on getting the SB8200 to replace my SB6190 anyway, so the only extra cost if the 2nd IP address.
TimG

Re: 2 NIC's for BI Server

Post by TimG »

I can't add anything to this (I was asked to comment by MikeBwca in case anybody wonders why I bothered to post that !), as I have achieved my objective of keeping the cameras on a subnet that has no www access, but can still be accessed by BI5, and by the BI android app locally and remotely.

I previously commented about this dual NIC method, as I don't have a router on the second NIC, and I have no idea if it should be working at all - but it does. The NIC and cameras have static IP addresses so maybe that was the trick. I'm SO out of my depth with this one :lol:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Thanks for replying.

Yes, all my cameras have static IP addresses. I had the router on the second NIC2 because 2 of my cameras are wireless, AND, it allows me to use my phone to login to the NIC2 network with my phone when I'm at home to view the cameras with other android apps (IP Cam Viewer).

If I find a solution, I'll defiantly post it here.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I really like the idea of adding a separate NIC just for BI, but I'm nowhere near familiar enough with the ins and outs of networking to implement it. :(

On the other hand, if you're planning a trip the the US any time soon... :)
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

I really like the idea of adding a separate NIC just for BI
I simply added another NIC, named it "CCTV Ethernet", and gave it a static IP of 10.0.0.1. I then plugged a POE ethernet switch into that, and went to the first of my working Blue Iris IP cameras, and while still connected to the original 192.168,xxx.xxx network, swapped its static IP to 10.0.0.2. After that I connected it to the POE switch, and went in to BI5 and swapped its IP address to the new one. It worked 8-)

I swapped two more cameras and gave them 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4 addresses, and still working. No router :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

And you can still view the cameras on the BI webserver?

If that's all there is to it, I may give it a whirl.

I just activated the BI webserver last night, but I've heard that there may be potential vulnerabilities in doing so.

TimG wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:55 pm
I really like the idea of adding a separate NIC just for BI
I simply added another NIC, named it "CCTV Ethernet", and gave it a static IP of 10.0.0.1. I then plugged a POE ethernet switch into that, and went to the first of my working Blue Iris IP cameras, and while still connected to the original 192.168,xxx.xxx network, swapped its static IP to 10.0.0.2. After that I connected it to the POE switch, and went in to BI5 and swapped its IP address to the new one. It worked 8-)

I swapped two more cameras and gave them 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4 addresses, and still working. No router :shock:
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Thixotropic wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:35 pm And you can still view the cameras on the BI webserver?

If that's all there is to it, I may give it a whirl.

I just activated the BI webserver last night, but I've heard that there may be potential vulnerabilities in doing so.
- Yes, Windows can see devices on both networks. Therefore, BI server can see them also. And, serve them via the webserver. The mobile app and UI3 will be able to view all cameras either home, or, away. The only issue is, you will not be able to use another app to view the cameras unless you connect to the other Nic, and, you will not be able to view the cameras from another app wen away from home.

- After enabling the BI Webserver... make sure you require Authentication from all connections, AND, have a strong password for your account. I would also recommend changing the default userid from 'admin' to something else... like 'Admin$too2t2'.
Also, check your BI log & firewall log. You'll see many/many/many login attempts. You should also check the Webserver' Advanced page from time to time to see how many have been blacklisted.
I added several firewall rules for BlueIris to block all, but the traffic I want - both in/out. Since I did that, I get no unknown webserver login attempts.
TimG

Post by TimG »

For me, the web security came first, as I had seen the foreign log in attempts in the BI log. I presently have OpenVpn running on my Asus router (Merlin firmware), and that works very well with my android phones when away from home. I had previously attempted to set up OpenVpn on the BI server which was extremely difficult for my poor old brain, so I gave up. Following that, when I purchased the Asus router, it was very easy to set OpenVpn up - much easier than Heneryh's recent reverse proxy info :shock:
The only issue is, you will not be able to use another app to view the cameras unless you connect to the other Nic, and, you will not be able to view the cameras from another app wen away from home.
This was not an issue for me. BI with OpenVPN has worked remotely every time I needed it, so there has been no need for further complication. For the house tv's, I managed to load the android BI app onto Fire sticks too, so no need for 3rd party apps - I could do with an Android TV specific BI app though - hint hint.

Back to two NIC's: Add a new NIC, give it a static IP, clone a camera, swap the IP and give it a (Poe?) whirl :!: What could possibly go wrong :lol:
Forum Moderator.
TimG

Post by TimG »

After some www searching, i think I can answer my own question. I already know that my BI5 subnet is functioning with three IP cameras without a router, but it does have a POE switch. As I now understand it, if the NIC and camera IP addresses are in the same subnet, they don't need a router to communicate but a switch is a necessity - as are static IP addresses since there is no DHCP capability. A router would be required for connecting networks together. I need a rest :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I understood some of those words.

So it sounds like I just need to subnet the semi-boloid slots of the stator to reduce sinusoidal repleneration in the turbo encabulator with the two spurving bearings in a direct line with the panametric fan. Easy-peasy, but will I still need to sacrifice a goat to my ISP?

Complete setup here for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag